Best projects for doom metal?

I’ve been building quite a few different fuzz pedals that are suited for doom metal and am looking for some more recommendations. To all the doom heads out there, what are your favorite diy projects you’ve built? So far I’m loving the FZ-2 clone, Hizumitas clone and life pedal clone. I’ve also built the doom bloom but I’m not liking how much gating is going on there.

Guitar:
Gibson SG Standard, preferably with 490R/498T pickups.

Pedalboard:
Twin Face (I really like BC108 for Si transistors) , Distortion 250 (use low Vf Ge diodes), Muzzle, Grand Orbiter, Seabed.

Amp:
I'm a Dual Rectifier guy, but lots of people like Orange amps.

I'm a Dual Rectifier guy

Haven’t heard of many doomers playing mesas. Dual and triple rectifiers were my grail amps in my teens, probably pissed off a lot of guitar center employees running to try them out. Hearing this is making me feel less ashamed for not being into oranges then

Haven’t heard of many doomers playing mesas. Dual and triple rectifiers were my grail amps in my teens, probably pissed off a lot of guitar center employees running to try them out. Hearing this is making me feel less ashamed for not being into oranges then
Oranges don't do it for me at high gain. Not enough note separation, too woofy, weird EQ curve... Not my thing. I want to hear my bass player.

I've also downsized as I've gotten older and wiser. I discovered a cranked Mini Rectifier with a 1x12 will smoke the guys bringing full Orange stacks to bars, still have reasonable stage volume, not piss off the venue or patrons, and not destroy my back during load in/out.

The parenthesis ( life pedal) is a pretty project 3 in one if you don’t feel like building a separate octave and boost, if you are into octave but the analog ones aren’t getting you into POG territory there are some fv-1 options out there if you are feeling adventurous, still doesn’t hold a candle to a POG but it can get close if you really wanted a DIY option.

Low and slow lover here. I actually really did not like the doom bloom/death cap at all.

Besides all the good suggestions above, I think most fuzzes will do as long as they let through a good amount of bass--even something like a cranked higher-gain twin face works well. Also really really like the sound of the Fuzzy Fox fuzz. It surprised me. Cream Pie/Frantone Cream Puff is fun; two sticks of derm (duh)/any DAM meathead derivative is also good. Could also do the War Scythe. I'm glad to see that PPCB used a three-pole toggle for clipping on the Pharaoh; the middle position is loud AF and I modded my Aion build to include it. Pyrocumulus/Fallout Cloud is also a fun and potentially bass-forward muff variant. For more overdrivey sounds, I like the Deofol.

For non-PPCB builds, I would also recommend the modded build of the Aion Argus/Roland AD-50-- very versatile. I've built several versions of the Sunn Beta from Aion and PCBGuitarMania and that's always good for filthtastic distortion, as well as the aforementioned NEW Apostle from GCI. You could also try to find the schematic or boards for the Quantum Mystic, Mike Scheidt's signature pedal with Black Arts Toneworks.

Low and slow lover here. I actually really did not like the doom bloom/death cap at all.

Besides all the good suggestions above, I think most fuzzes will do as long as they let through a good amount of bass--even something like a cranked higher-gain twin face works well. Also really really like the sound of the Fuzzy Fox fuzz. It surprised me. Cream Pie/Frantone Cream Puff is fun; two sticks of derm (duh)/any DAM meathead derivative is also good. Could also do the War Scythe. I'm glad to see that PPCB used a three-pole toggle for clipping on the Pharaoh; the middle position is loud AF and I modded my Aion build to include it. Pyrocumulus/Fallout Cloud is also a fun and potentially bass-forward muff variant. For more overdrivey sounds, I like the Deofol.

For non-PPCB builds, I would also recommend the modded build of the Aion Argus/Roland AD-50-- very versatile. I've built several versions of the Sunn Beta from Aion and PCBGuitarMania and that's always good for filthtastic distortion, as well as the aforementioned NEW Apostle from GCI. You could also try to find the schematic or boards for the Quantum Mystic, Mike Scheidt's signature pedal with Black Arts Toneworks.
Thanks a ton for the suggestions! The war scythe is one of my all time favorites, I never did find the right transistor for the tone bender side but what I have works. I will certainly get the pharaoh, pyrocumulus and deofol. I do have a pcbguitarmania board for the black mystic, but the drill template was messed up so I’ll have to redo the enclosure.

Thanks a ton for the suggestions! The war scythe is one of my all time favorites, I never did find the right transistor for the tone bender side but what I have works. I will certainly get the pharaoh, pyrocumulus and deofol. I do have a pcbguitarmania board for the black mystic, but the drill template was messed up so I’ll have to redo the enclosure.

I think the Mountainking Megalith/Arkaim is also pretty much a must-build. And 2 sticks of derm. It has derm right in the name! (full disclosure: I haven't built it yet--saving it for a point-to-point build.) There is a breadboard tutorial on the latter if you're curious about it. And have a breadboard.

Back