Best projects for doom metal?

Fuzz Wizard

I’ve been building quite a few different fuzz pedals that are suited for doom metal and am looking for some more recommendations. To all the doom heads out there, what are your favorite diy projects you’ve built? So far I’m loving the FZ-2 clone, Hizumitas clone and life pedal clone. I’ve also built the doom bloom but I’m not liking how much gating is going on there.

The Mofeta preamp is as doom as the night is black.

The Bellum MkI is a fun muff flavor that actually responds pretty well to your volume and picking dynamics.

EffectsLayouts Ache is a parentheses/lifepedal without the boost and a separate stomp for the rat circuit and the octave circuit.

Edit:
Bellum MKi (Fuzz War v1 video)

Final Edit:

I forgot the Arkaim (Mountainking Megalith). Don't sleep on that one.

Last edited:
Lm386 builds are my jam! It’s got a distinct sound but here’s a few examples of the chip in action:

The Acapulco gold is by far the easiest variant to make but the Sonic Titan is a close second and is a smaller-part build as well

EDIT: I almost forgot my favorite, this is a 1-knob variant of the “Biggus Dickus” from these exact forums

Any more non-PPCB builds? I’ve exhausted most of the options from them. I’m also especially curious about clones of anything by Dunwich.

FZ-2 into a Rat into the slowest phaser ever.

This recommendation is hard to beat. You've also got a lot of this base covered by the Life pedal, but it's still a super fun combination.

Separating out the Octave section (PedalPCB Squidward) to run it into other dirts is also really fun. Squidward into a boost into an amp's dirt channel can hit like a freight train.

For the desert rock side of doom two of my favorites are the SOFTii which crushes Kyuss tones and the Decadence which is basically Queens of the Stone Age in a box.

I’ve built the EF120 which is based on the DA120, but oddly when you search on the site for dunwich nothing shows up. Maybe there was a copyright problem? Unfortunately now I can’t find anything from them on their site.
The newest variation of the DA120 co-designed by Nick from Dunwich is gonna be this one from GCI

N.E.W. Apostle

I haven’t built it myself but the schematic piqued my interest. The boards have been OOS for a while but there’s a verified Vero layout floating around

EDIT: it’s back in stock!!! :D

The newest variation of the DA120 co-designed by Nick from Dunwich is gonna be this one from GCI

N.E.W. Apostle

I haven’t built it myself but the schematic piqued my interest. The boards have been OOS for a while but there’s a verified Vero layout floating around

EDIT: it’s back in stock!!! :D
I might have to check it out, the one from effects layouts was underwhelming.

Lm386 builds are my jam! It’s got a distinct sound but here’s a few examples of the chip in action:

The Acapulco gold is by far the easiest variant to make but the Sonic Titan is a close second and is a smaller-part build as well

EDIT: I almost forgot my favorite, this is a 1-knob variant of the “Biggus Dickus” from these exact forums

oh hey that’s me 😂

Back