Bigger Muff

I am mainly posting this because there seems to be some Big Muff love here, but someone posted a veroboard layout. This is the Muff used in some older metal albums, but seems like a cute idea.

View attachment 1001

Where did you find this vero? I actually built the first one of these (aside from the original) and worked with Nick on the schematic/trace of the original unit.

I've been hesitant to release one since it was technically a contracted job for him, but if he's released the vero I suppose it's all fair game now.

Haha small world, yeah Nick Spera posted in the Guitar Pedal Builders Facebook group in July. I have been looking at it for some time looks like an interesting build.

It's a noisy build, that's for sure. I remember reading about the original way back in the 90s from some Korn interview.

It looks like he's changed up the feedback path a little, but it's been a while so I'd have to look back at the schematic.

I never really felt like the tube was all that necessary, the feedback loop is where all the crazy oscillation and motorboating comes from. A simple JFET boost stage does basically the same thing. It's one of those designs that most folks would consider "broken"... ?

Yeah I feel like it is a lot of mojo and mystery around it that may not be warranted. I have not done a deepdive on the circuit yet, but I felt like it was an interesting share. Happy I did, didn't know you were involved.

Can you make a board for the high voltage part? It might be fun to experiment with tubes using the same power supply running at 9vdc.

Can you create a schematic on how you would add a JFET to a existing Big Muff build? Maybe we can switch in and out the JFET in the circuit.

Yeah man, once I get a pattern worked out for implementing tubes I'll definitely tackle this one.

IIRC BuGG built a number of these these a few years back.

Would love to see this emerge as a DIY board at some point. That would be absolutely insane. I've lusted after these for yeeeears.

Back