Blue Shoe Gai Pan (JHS PG-14)

owlexifry

the next stop on my JFET distortion journey was this thing.
when first looking at demos for it, i think it was probably paul gilbert’s enthusiasm and good nature that sold me on the trying this circuit more than the sound of the circuit itself.
so it’s a maleficent mids (hauntings mids) into a super ‘64 overdrive (superbolt / ROG supreaux deux). nifty.

F6DAF832-4B3F-48C2-8B68-AC8C474E5C85.jpeg
im sure everyone’s seen and heard demos of it.

187281C2-9B18-4176-AB89-F94C4AC14595.jpeg

first time using the in/out//9v faceplate.

C0518D4C-5221-4F54-A6EA-45F296C692A7.jpeg

it sounds alright.
‘breaks up’ nicely i guess.
i liked the figment preamp (migfet) better for a distortion.
it’s certainly got some knobs. but seems to have this odd nasaly tone i can’t seem to dial out when turning the drive up.
seems to hate getting boosted, distortion gets way too grainy.
maybe it just sucks for humbuckers?

or maybe i haven’t got it biased right yet, idk. i can get it to clean up real nice but when i get it overdrive hard it's a bit shit, even with the 'push' backed off.
probably just need to play with it a bit more.

didn’t get time for a demo yet, but i’ll do one at some point if i manage to get some joy 😅

Last edited:
Nice job on the lettering! The white is a real nice touch.

I thought the development story on that circuit was interesting - if I remember right JHS worked with Gilbert to target the EQ to a range that lined up with his heavily damaged hearing. Maybe explains some of the weirdness?

I did a couple JFET pedals recently and I dig em. Based on your description this probably won’t be my next one. I’ll look into the migfet though!

Nice job on the lettering! The white is a real nice touch.
thanks! i haven’t really got the best method, but im liking it more than dymo labels. i recently got some 2, 3, 4 mm stencils, but they’re all too small for fineliner pens to get through, but a mechanical pencil will, so i draw it out with pencil and then trace that by hand with the black or white pen.

I thought the development story on that circuit was interesting - if I remember right JHS worked with Gilbert to target the EQ to a range that lined up with his heavily damaged hearing. Maybe explains some of the weirdness?
that’s my understanding.
and yeah that’s a good point..

I did a couple JFET pedals recently and I dig em. Based on your description this probably won’t be my next one. I’ll look into the migfet though!
do it, migfet is rad!

Back