DEMO Butt Head (FX69 Grunge) with tweaks

This post contains an audio or video demo

DGWVI

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
The glorious DOD Grunge, now with assembly required. This and the Danelectro Fab Tone were my first two distortion pedals, so this was a nostalgia trip for me.
Really doesn't remind me of the tone of any of the grunge bands I listen to- they all used Super Fuzzes, Big Muffs, Rats, and DS-1s. It does do exorbitantly heavy and ugly, though. I'd class it as more of a sloppy kinda metal distortion, and it's circuit topology is basically a stripped down Metal Zone. It might be capable of doing tight palm muted stuff, but I'm not.
Distortion levels start at high, and only get wackier from there, and the Grunge pot doesn't have a huge range. But, why should it? This is meant for messy, feedback-laden slopfests.

I did tweak a few values, starting with using the Fab Tone specs (three components difference between the two) and then kept tweaking to get more low end out of the last two gyrators, and have a more usable range on the Face (highs) pot. I'm gonna wait for the official schematic to be posted before I lost my mods. Nothing groundbreaking, but they do help with the range of the EQ. LED clippers, because fuck a 1N4148

Overall, and after 15 or so years, I still dig this circuit. It's just ridiculously harsh, but perfectly useable, and covers quite a lot of ground if you're willing to tweak the EQ and Grunge

Dead simple build, though a sorta high component count given it's just a dirt box. No rare parts. Just load up the board and go.

f81cee5b-3670-49ad-a3e6-094d56407139photo.jpeg 8c9149b3-1387-48dd-aa08-f222c23f26f2photo.jpeg

I’ve still got one around here under a bunch of other pedals. I need to get it out. I don’t remember if it’s DOD or digitech

I’ve still got one around here under a bunch of other pedals. I need to get it out. I don’t remember if it’s DOD or digitech
Why dig it out when you can build one?

(I may have used this reasoning to build things I've already built, because I couldn't be sussed finding the one's already assembled a few times. At one point, I had like four identical Tremulous Lunes, and I don't even particularly care for tremolo :ROFLMAO: )

Why dig it out when you can build one?

(I may have used this reasoning to build things I've already built, because I couldn't be sussed finding the one's already assembled a few times. At one point, I had like four identical Tremulous Lunes, and I don't even particularly care for tremolo :ROFLMAO: )
The board was shipped out yesterday! 🤣🤣🤣

The way you played that little riff in the beginning then jumped right into it was pretty awesome! 🤟 Great build dude!

Try Face down, Butt up

It is a pretty harsh and grating pedal, especially into clean and bright amps. And, it definitely sounds better louder
Ok. I did. Not a fan of that combo. I do agree that cranking the loud is better. I like it with the butt and face equal, anywhere between noon and 2:00. Of course, it still sounds pretty bad, but it sounds right, if that makes sense…

Also, I have very little spread with my Grunge control. 0 is like 30%, and 2 is 100%. Maybe I made a mistake when building…but then, maybe I didn’t…

Also, I have very little spread with my Grunge control. 0 is like 30%, and 2 is 100%. Maybe I made a mistake when building…but then, maybe I didn’t…

That's normal.
You can reduce the value of R12 to get a bit more range on the lower end. 1k would probably be decent, but it's still gonna pump out the dirt. Swapping the clipping diodes for LEDs or just leaving them out will help as well

That's normal.
You can reduce the value of R12 to get a bit more range on the lower end. 1k would probably be decent, but it's still gonna pump out the dirt. Swapping the clipping diodes for LEDs or just leaving them out will help as well
It’s great at that super abrasive, frig you tone. Makes me want to play Green Day stuff, Dookie-era…

Back