DEMO Byrdhouse Compressor (JangleBox)

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Well, with @jjjimi84 's awesome demo it's a hard act to follow.
I'm not nearly as gabby, winsome or good looking as Dan.... :ROFLMAO:

Dan covered some good basics of how compressors work in his demo and video. All great stuff!

I, too built this because of @Harry Klippton :)

As Dan mentioned this is essentially a Ross/Dyna Comp type compressor with a 3 way tone toggle. The "bright" setting is where it stands out and gives the "jangle" to the Janglebox.

As such, there's all the things I like and don't like about Ross compressors. There's a LOT of compression on tap and there's nothing subtle about it.
In that sense it sound a lot like my Keeley compressor and a Wampler Ego that had.
It's way more compression that I typically use.

The bright toggle is what creates that "Beatles/Byrds" jangle but I find that I can get that same level of jangle with my General Tso's treble control and still have a fuller sound. One of the things I love about the Tso's is the full and fat sound without sacrificing the high end. And of course the much more subtle compression from an optical circuitry.

The other downside to the Ross based compressors is the high noise floor. The Byrdhouse doesn't disappoint there either, it's a very noisy compressor:)

I recorded a demo comparing it to some other recent compressors I've built. It's definitely a cool implementation of the DynaComp but it's also not for me.
I subbed a CA3080A for the NTE996, otherwise it was built to the BOM.

IMG_5175.JPG

IMG_5173.JPG

Back