Can I run 18v on DMD-2?

@overture2022: It's an FV-1 circuit with a voltage regulator — you would damage the FV-1 (and the regulator, and the 42LC32A, probably the crystal...) if you feed it more than 9v. Look at the power section of the Schematic, there's 3.3v coming off it and feeding various other points of the circuit in the main part of the schematic (more 3.3v scattered about).

EDIT: just read Robert's post#4 below...

So much to learn, still,
must I, before becoming
pedal-build Jedi

Last edited:
Technically you could, the 3.3V regulator will drop the 18V down to the required 3.3V for all digital circuitry.

However, you'll be wasting more current (and generating more heat at the regulator).

I'm not sure that you'd benefit from it since the FV-1 is the bottleneck for headroom and that won't change with higher supply voltage.

Technically you could, the 3.3V regulator will drop the 18V down to the required 3.3V for all digital circuitry.

However, you'll be wasting more current (and generating more heat at the regulator).

I'm not sure that you'd benefit from it since the FV-1 is the bottleneck for headroom and that won't change with higher supply voltage.
Yeah, I’ve been enthralled with the Unison, and after checking the 78L specs, threw 18V at it. This is the first time I didn’t get the expected improvements—now I know why…

Back