Can you prolong a germanium transistor's life?

gonzo

So I've had these AF106 transistors for many years sitting in a bag. The other day I decided to just make some rangemasters out of them. Might sell a few, but I'm worried about their lifespan. One was low gain a year ago and now it's dead. The other two are fine. I was reading these are a mesa bjts(defused junction transistors). Because of the manufacturing methods, some of the leg connections corrode. I thought about adding some hot glue to the bottom to keep air and the humid weather here on Japan out. But that might be a dumb idea. Does anyone have pointers or ideas on how to improve the lifespan or future wear on old transistors like these?
IMG20240107202822.jpg

Not sure about longevity but I think they were in damn near every export radio that came out of Japan in the 60s.
Probably boxes on boxes of them around.

They sound the same as my nicer ac 108's. They came in what looked like a pipe bomb in the mail from some eastern block country off eBay 10 years ago. It was a mixed bunch of random stuff. Just hope I can get some years out of them. Trying to make these rangemasters look like artwork. The world can always use more treble boosters.

Back