Castledine Magical Mystery Box schematic

Chuck D. Bones

Circuit Wizard
Anybody have one? I've found gutshots on Harmony Central and elsewhere, and those help, but are not enough info for tracing.

Nope. The Conqueror Supreme is NOT a Magical Mystery Box. It's a Conqueror with some switching added. It is (unfortunately) based on the Jext Telez White Pedal and not the MMB. I believe that a MMB could be built on a Conqueror Supreme board with an outboard boost added at the end for volume recovery.

Here's a gutshot of a MMB. Count the transistors, there are five total. Those two metal can transistors are AC125s and they're used as the clipping diodes. The other three are most likely the two transistor gain stage before clipping and a single transistor booster at the end. Can't be the same as a Conqueror Supreme because that board has seven transistors including the two clippers and no volume recovery after the clippers and tone controls.

mmb-gutshot.jpg

You're thinking about the Royal Overdrive.

The Conqueror Supreme makes use of the disabled switching in the Conqueror / White Pedal circuit. It has similar functionality to the MMB but isn't a direct clone. That should have been made clearer in the description.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you still actively working on the Royal Overdrive? Or does that depend on your definition of "actively working" since there are always lots of projects in various states of development?

The Conqueror Supreme makes use of the disabled switching in the Conqueror / White Pedal circuit. It has similar functionality to the MMB but isn't a direct clone. That should have been made clearer in the description.
Jext Telez (IMHO) screwed up the biasing on Q2. It's less noticeable because the distortion is always enabled in the White Pedal. I asked someone who built a Conqueror Supreme if it still distorted when the Distortion was switched off and the answer was "yes." Also, there are also some cap values that do not match the Vox schematics, not sure it it was accidental or intentional on JT's part.

Back
Top Bottom