SOLVED Cataclysm Delay w/ 2Khz noise

PunchySunshine

New pedal builder here. Finishing up my fourth pedal, I've finally hit a problem and my luck has run out. I made the Cataclysm Delay and everything functions properly except there is a steady 2Khz noise happening. It's only when the pedal is on. It doesn't matter if it's inside or outside the box. I've tried powering with a 9v battery and it's still there. I've swapped out the tl072 opamp. The PT chip is getting 5.2 volts on the first pin and 2.6 volts on the second pin. I've run out of ideas on my own and I'm hoping you wonderful ppl can take a look at these pics and we'll get it sorted out.
Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0352.jpg
    IMG_0352.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0353.jpg
    IMG_0353.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0355.jpg
    IMG_0355.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0356.jpg
    IMG_0356.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0358.jpg
    IMG_0358.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0360.jpg
    IMG_0360.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I think I would run an audio probe through and see whereabouts the noise starts, and whether it is being generated all through the circuit or in one place. If it starts in a defined place then try replacing the component just before, and if that doesn't work then the components just around that spot. My experience with bad components is usually noise or low frequency hum, not higher frequencies, but you never know.

I think I would run an audio probe through and see whereabouts the noise starts, and whether it is being generated all through the circuit or in one place. If it starts in a defined place then try replacing the component just before, and if that doesn't work then the components just around that spot. My experience with bad components is usually noise or low frequency hum, not higher frequencies, but you never know.

Agree, I find a high pitched sound like that quite surprising, especially since he also tried it with a battery

This is definitely the next course of action. About a week ago I ordered the 100nf cap so I can make my probe. I appreciate the advice!

I had an issue like this with an overdrive once. Turned out it was a bad electrolytic cap. I discovered the bad cap simply by touching them all, and hearing the tone change on the bad one. Try touching the caps or the solder traces and you might luck out and find it without the probe.

I had an issue like this with an overdrive once. Turned out it was a bad electrolytic cap. I discovered the bad cap simply by touching them all, and hearing the tone change on the bad one. Try touching the caps or the solder traces and you might luck out and find it without the probe.
I was looking at the brand name on those Electrolytics, I'm not familiar with it???
My gut feeling is one of those also, everything else on the board looks fine!

Back