Chaos machine lfo “whooshing”

Fuzz Wizard

Hello again, today I spent my day off building a chaos machine. Unfortunately there’s a constant “whooshing” sound coming from the lfo, even with the guitar disconnected. The higher the mix and resonance is turned up the louder it gets. It seems like I’m not the only one who’s had this issue, but has anyone been able to find a fix?

I should probably also mention that I installed the expression jacks, so maybe that could be where some of the noise is coming from. I’ll take pictures when I get off work.

I should probably also mention that I installed the expression jacks, so maybe that could be where some of the noise is coming from. I’ll take pictures when I get off work.
Have you tried searching for Chaos Machine (selecting titles only) in the search bar? I could’ve sworn I saw at least a couple long threads referencing that one and whooshing/ticking. I remember I built one of those without the extra jacks and didn’t have any problem at all. If I remember correctly I wanna say the use of expression jacks may have been the common denominator when experiencing those issues.

Have you tried searching for Chaos Machine (selecting titles only) in the search bar? I could’ve sworn I saw at least a couple long threads referencing that one and whooshing/ticking. I remember I built one of those without the extra jacks and didn’t have any problem at all. If I remember correctly I wanna say the use of expression jacks may have been the common denominator when experiencing those issues.
Yes I have, but there aren’t any “solved” threads on this issue. It seems to me like it’s probably an issue involving the expression jacks, so the next step will be to uninstall them and replace with jumpers. Another piece of advice I’ve seen is to use shielded wire, so if I can get my hands on some I’ll try replacing the audio in/out with that. I should also mention I’ve been getting the dreaded lfo tick while in bypass.

Did you ever solve your whooshing issue?
I've just built one, no expression pedal loop sockets, all bypassed with jumpers, good Voodoo Labs Isolated Power Supply, shielded Van Damme for input/output cables between Jacks and Footswitch.
I'm getting the dreaded whooshing and low level ticking. Tried a Klon Buffer in front but no better.

Did you ever solve your whooshing issue?
I've just built one, no expression pedal loop sockets, all bypassed with jumpers, good Voodoo Labs Isolated Power Supply, shielded Van Damme for input/output cables between Jacks and Footswitch.
I'm getting the dreaded whooshing and low level ticking. Tried a Klon Buffer in front but no better.
Nope, I pretty much gave up on it. Sorry.

Any chance we could har a demo of this "whooshing"? I just finished a Chaos Machine and I noticed the noise floor a bit higher than I anticipated and get a "whooshing' sound when the pedal is engaged and the guitar is turned down. When I turn up the guitar, and mute the strings, the 'whooshing' is still there. But when I play, that 'wooshing' simply becomes part of the sound.

Even in a fellow group member's (MichaelW) demo you can hear that 'whooshing'.

I suspect that the 'whooshing' is merely just part of the pedal's character. Even in the EQD YouTube demos, that 'whooshing' seems to be part of the sound/character of the pedal. Although, in the EQD demo, that 'whooshing' seems to be buried in the mix - as they are using several tracks.

Have not read all the threads on this issue, so maybe this has already been addressed but...

What if you use shielded wire to/from all jacks?
I thought about that for a minute and it occurred to me that when an LFO is actively controlling a filter sweep, any inherent noise floor is going to sweep thru as well. So I disregarded the shielded I/O wiring as a preventative measure in this case.

I even used a slo-colored-cycling LED as the bypass LED and fully anticipated the µPU in the color-cycling LED to add some 'ticking' in the signal. However, it made no change what so ever. Still, to ensure that LED would not impugn its digital noise upon the circuit, I added a 100nF cap across (in parallel) the LED's leads for good measure.

In any case, I'm hoping others with Chaos Machine building experience will chime in and site their findings.

Back