Circulator(Boneyarded) and Hyped Fuzz with mods from these forums

pingpongcomputer

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Circulator pictures first:

gjbG3bX.jpeg

yZw4DSC.jpeg

x6JFZNI.jpeg

I like doing black designs on Tayda's metallic enclosures with no white or gloss layers, but this time I decided to do a gloss coat over the text to help with legibility and it was a success. Maybe more so in the room than in the pictures. I've accepted that I just like the Volume Dealer font and I'm getting over trying to find a unique font for every build.
For the build I followed the Boneyard mods from this thread. I had to add a parallel resistor to a couple of pots to get the correct values because I'd already made my Tayda order by the time I found the thread and didn't have the correct spares in my parts pile. Nothing was too difficult. I had to wire the 3.3meg resistor from pin 3 on the Rate pot to pin 3 on IC1 on the component side of the board because I used two resistors in series to get 3.3M and it didn't fit very well underneath. I also left the mode toggle in and didn't add the pulse led, both of which I regret now, but I can always pull it back apart and melt a bunch of stuff trying to make those changes.
Everything worked great on first power up, I like the pedal on subtle settings after a low gain fuzz/OD, or maxed out in front of a dimed fuzz, plenty of versatility and cool combinations of sounds to be had. I haven't had a chance to play around too extensively and see everything it can do, but I was able to dial in what I wanted with minimal effort.
Two thumbs up.

Hyped Fuzz:

kOMERDO.jpeg

ok325TB.jpeg

URqrYQ4.jpeg

This one was a black and white Tayda UV print on a Pearl Gray enclosure with white and matte gloss layers, I tried to capture the paint job in the last picture there but I did a bad job showing how nice it looks in person, couldn't really get the pearlescent shimmer to come through.

I built this one per the build docs but with two modifications, the first is from @Guardians of the analog 's post here. It's nice and easy, lift one leg of r11 and connect that to the outer lug of an SPDT on/on and connect the solder pad where it would have gone to the center lug, then nothing to the other outside lug of the SPDT. With the connection on you get the octave, with it off you get no octave. I copied Guardians and put that switch where the led hole is on the drill template. The second mod I read about after I finished the build, which is shown in @Robert 's response to a question about how to do it here. The end of that thread is a few posts of me talking to myself about how I messed it up. The lesson was, don't try to tack wires onto an already soldered DPDT with more solder. Even though it looked like everything reflowed properly it wasn't making a good connection. The solution was to remove all the solder from the two lugs where I was adding wires with some braided solder wick, then add the wires and resolder, works like a charm. The function is the same as the octave mod, just use 2 lugs of an SPDT on/on, when the connection is switched on the fuzz modes are combined, and when it's switched to the center/empty lug on the SPDT it works as stock. I had imagined that a mid scoop and mid boost combined would just make a flat eq, but instead it's more of a W shaped frequency response, which adds another flavor. The combination of the two mods and the stock features makes for a versatile fuzz pedal and is my current favorite.
If I had more thumbs I'd give this one four thumbs up.

I had intended to do some demos but my excuse is that I'm doing a bunch of house renovations and when I have free time I just want to chill out and play guitar or solder stuff or read rather than record. Maybe one day when the kitchen and bathrooms are complete.

The hyped fuzz mod is fun. I have it on a foot switch. But I think a toggle switch may be the better option.

damn, Hyped Fuzz is already my favorite fuzz and I didn't knew about that octave mod!!
please, do a demo of that 😭
here we go, might take a few minutes for youtube to finish processsing

mic was too close to the cab so the bass is a boomy and evidently I wasn't far enough away for it to not pick up my strumming, but you can still get an idea for the mods.

here we go, might take a few minutes for youtube to finish processsing

mic was too close to the cab so the bass is a boomy and evidently I wasn't far enough away for it to not pick up my strumming, but you can still get an idea for the mods.
thats awesome!!! thank you so much for recording this demo!! :love:

just to be sure:
switch down = stock
switch up = octave
right?

gain and volume seems to go way up with octave on

Last edited:
thats awesome!!! thank you so much for recording this demo!! :love:

just to be sure:
switch down = stock
switch up = octave
right?

gain and volume seems to go way up with octave on
With the octave switch up the octave is on, which is I think is stock, down is octave off.
There is less volume/gain with the octave off, I think because the mod turns off one of transistors generating the octave.
The other toggle, down by the foot switch, flipped down is stock, flipped up combines the two fuzz modes, so it's the same with the mode switch on fuzz 1 or 2 and does nothing in boost position.

Back