Modded Hyped Fuzz-boss FZ-2w 🤡

Guardians of the analog

1000010902.jpg
The hyped fuzz. We all know what this is and what it sounds like. It's a behringer clone of the boss fz-2 super fuzz. Ok, the buffers are different in this but it's still a FZ-2. I've already built the Aion version with stacked boards but I wanted to mod one of these for a long time and decided now's the time. This is my take on what the FZ-2w waza craft could be like.

I added an octave lift switch. Sometimes you just want fuzz. Simple mod makes the pedal that much more versatile. If the enclosure where bigger if would be awesome to have it as a footswitch. Relay bypass from @szukalski . Matte black tayda box and UV print of my boi Miles. Hoping that @Robert makes this switch a feature on a future board revision.
1000011487.jpg 1000011488.jpg 1000011489.jpg

Fantastic build. I think now I want to build one in a 1590BB enclosure with a footswitch with LED! How would one go about doing that to a 3PDT? Still one end of R11 to a top lug and the other side to the bottom lug?

Fantastic build. I think now I want to build one in a 1590BB enclosure with a footswitch with LED! How would one go about doing that to a 3PDT? Still one end of R11 to a top lug and the other side to the bottom lug?
Wire the resistor like I did on one set of poles. Use another set of poles for wiring the led.
Awesome build!!

What did you use for transistors? Did you HFE matched the octave transistors?
I used bc549c from tayda. No measuring, grabbed 4 and kept it rolling.

Awesome build, Chris! I have this one in my queue, too. :cool:

Is the 1k resister wired into the switch path with your mod? I.e., what are the two states of R11: no resister (shorted) and 1k or shorted and jumped?

Also, I was wondering if there is a volume difference between octave on and octave off positions? Foot switch would only be a good idea if they are close. The foxx tone machine is an example where the octave on a footswitch is useless (e.g. Fulltone Ultimate Octave) because the volumes are way off.

Awesome build, Chris! I have this one in my queue, too. :cool:

Is the 1k resister wired into the switch path with your mod? I.e., what are the two states of R11: no resister (shorted) and 1k or shorted and jumped?

Also, I was wondering if there is a volume difference between octave on and octave off positions? Foot switch would only be a good idea if they are close. The foxx tone machine is an example where the octave on a footswitch is useless (e.g. Fulltone Ultimate Octave) because the volumes are way off.
Thanks John. It's a stupid simple mod. Remember the mixing resistor mod on the small clone, the vibrato switch? It's the same thing essentially. When the 1k resistor is in circuit you have the octave, when it's out the octave path is removed and you have fuzz only.

As for a volume drop, I don't notice one really. There will be a sone drop in gain with the octave removed but the fuzz is still aplenty.

Beautiful graphic and color scheme. Matching knobs and LED FTW. (← i think that stands for @!#?@! the what?)

+1 on the octave switch. I always install that mod on the tychobrahe octavia; gives it a 2nd trick.

giphy.gif

Yeah, just noticed that in your pic.
Mine must be older - it's 10K on mine in that same position on the PCB.

I just downloaded the current build doc, and will adjust accordingly. :cool:
Thx again

Yep, it's definitely 10K in my relative location.
Would removing that (putting it on a toggle) accomplish the same thing, even though it's a different value?

Back