collecting all right components?

On the topic of wires. I use both the solid and pre-tinned stranded wire.

I like the stranded stuff I got from Smallbear a lot. I also got some from pedalpcb that is ok. Both of these seem to have less strands than the typical generic stranded wire I see on Amazon/etc, and I think that lends a lot to its usability. A small number of thicker strands are better than a large number of super thin strands.

For solid, I've never had issues with it breaking on me (but I have had stranded wire break on me, go figure).

I prefer 22 AGW when using solid, but 24 AWG for the stranded.

On the topic of wires. I use both the solid and pre-tinned stranded wire.

I like the stranded stuff I got from Smallbear a lot. I also got some from pedalpcb that is ok. Both of these seem to have less strands than the typical generic stranded wire I see on Amazon/etc, and I think that lends a lot to its usability. A small number of thicker strands are better than a large number of super thin strands.

For solid, I've never had issues with it breaking on me (but I have had stranded wire break on me, go figure).

I prefer 22 AGW when using solid, but 24 AWG for the stranded.
It’s just the opposite for me. I guess it’s all about technique.

Reactions: spi
I normally go two routes.

1- Certain projects I will make a BOM to order, normally from Mouser, all the parts needed. For specialty parts, I get elsewhere.

2- I also use Stompboxparts for making a BOM. The benefit here is the parts are already correct for pedals and for the resistors you get multiples per 'pack'. I frequent Lovemyswitches also for some power stuff/knobs.

I try to minimize how many times I have to order. Shipping will raise the cost of a project very fast.

To get a good size from Mouser, I have used thetonegeeks BOM to get a gauge of part sizes.

If you start diving into PCB building you start to notice the footprints needed.

I would also say, if you're building resistor/capacitor inventory. Buy E-6 series and do the parallel/series tricks to get the right values (or close enough, there are few examples where exactness better than 10% "really" matters.

What if you're ... slightly ... OCD and want/have-to-have the correct value resistor as specified in the BOM, ie when close-enough isn't close-enough?

what is a good not so expensive type of solering iron? how many watt, what kind of tip and anything else to think of when starting my first pcb board soldering?

what is a good not so expensive type of solering iron? how many watt, what kind of tip and anything else to think of when starting my first pcb board soldering?

Lots of good advice there.

I'm team Haako FX888D

Back