collecting all right components?

blokenator

It seems to me that the hardest part of a pedal project is to get all the right resistors and capacitors etc. is there some good advise on how to find the right?
resistors seems easier but capacitors are tricky for a newbe. so many parameters that need to fit.
was thinking about building a shallow water clone, but after two night trying to find components I almost give up.

any good advice?

cheers

If in Europe musikding kits of PedalPCB are good - otherwise it’s trying to find the smallest number of suppliers you can and minimise postage.
Capacitors are fairly easy once you’ve worked out the make and style of caps - like film box caps can all be one range etc

It seems to me that the hardest part of a pedal project is to get all the right resistors and capacitors etc. is there some good advise on how to find the right?
resistors seems easier but capacitors are tricky for a newbe. so many parameters that need to fit.
was thinking about building a shallow water clone, but after two night trying to find components I almost give up.

any good advice?

cheers

1) learn the nomenclature.
capacitors are measured in microfarads (uF), nanofarads (nF), or picofarads (pF).
1uF = 1000nF (= 1U or 1u)
1nF = 1000pF (or 1000p, -> the 'F' is often dropped)

resistors are measured in ohms.
1000ohm = 1K ohm, 1000K = 1M ohm (or just 1M)

sub 1K ohm values are listed with an 'R' unit (e.g. 470 ohm = 470R)

2)
get familiar with https://www.taydaelectronics.com/

they should have almost everything you need for common circuits.
of course there are other webstores that you can source from, but i suggest tayda because it's pretty easy to navigate and good value.
depending on where you are located, shipping can be a real pain in the arse. tayda seems to be pretty good for most (except europe it seems?)

imo, mouser.com is the crème de la crème for parts, because they have almost anything you could ever need, and their parts inventory have the strongest guarantee to be genuine (not counterfeit). however, they can be expensive and very difficult to navigate for a newbie.
they also do free shipping for orders >$60 (AUD)

capacitors:
no need for anything more than 100V rating. 'box' style caps fit well on most projects.
don't waste extra money on expensive/fancy parts. the cheap stuff is good (enough).

resistors:
get 1/4W resistors. metal film (the blue ones). (avoid carbon film).

pots: learn about pot tapers and what that means.

pots are essentially variable resistors.
pot values are expressed in resistance and taper. e.g. 100KB (100K, B taper)

there are x4 main types.
A = logarithmic
B = linear
C = reverse log
W = 'W-taper' (reverse log up to midpoint, regular log after midpoint)

wire:
SOLID CORE 22AWG
(don't buy stranded. stranded wire sucks balls. i can't believe i spent over a year building with stranded wire before i discovered solid core).

jacks: whatever floats your boat. i like open frame (full metal style) jacks. they're solid and reliable.
black plastic (cliff style) jacks are cheaper and generally fit better, along with other styles that people prefer.

opamps / transistors:
make sure you don't buy SMT/SMD (surface mount) opamps.
for most projects here, you want DIP / thru-hole opamps. same deal with transistors (although you can use adaptor boards with SMT transistors, but that's a story for another time).

EDIT:
i just realised you mentioned a shallow water clone. the ppcb low tide modulator.

ummm.. idk how to put this politely... but maybe a smaller build might be a better place to start (and there's no way you'll get all the parts from one webstore - not a 'cheap' build).

Last edited:
wire:
SOLID CORE 22AWG
(don't buy stranded. stranded wire sucks balls. i can't believe i spent over a year building with stranded wire before i discovered solid core).
This bears quoting again because, holy shit, once I figured out how much easier working with solid core wire was than stranded wire, this hobby got a lot more enjoyable for me. Good riddance to floppy wires that invariably broke at the solder point no matter how well you twisted and tinned them.

Mike

1) learn the nomenclature.
capacitors are measured in microfarads (uF), nanofarads (nF), or picofarads (pF).
1uF = 1000nF (= 1U or 1u)
1nF = 1000pF (or 1000p, -> the 'F' is often dropped)

resistors are measured in ohms.
1000ohm = 1K ohm, 1000K = 1M ohm (or just 1M)

sub 1K ohm values are listed with an 'R' unit (e.g. 470 ohm = 470R)

2)
get familiar with https://www.taydaelectronics.com/

they should have almost everything you need for common circuits.
of course there are other webstores that you can source from, but i suggest tayda because it's pretty easy to navigate and good value.
depending on where you are located, shipping can be a real pain in the arse. tayda seems to be pretty good for most (except europe it seems?)

imo, mouser.com is the crème de la crème for parts, because they have almost anything you could ever need, and their parts inventory have the strongest guarantee to be genuine (not counterfeit). however, they can be expensive and very difficult to navigate for a newbie.
they also do free shipping for orders >$60 (AUD)

capacitors:
no need for anything more than 100V rating. 'box' style caps fit well on most projects.
don't waste extra money on expensive/fancy parts. the cheap stuff is good (enough).

resistors:
get 1/4W resistors. metal film (the blue ones). (avoid carbon film).

pots: learn about pot tapers and what that means.

pots are essentially variable resistors.
pot values are expressed in resistance and taper. e.g. 100KB (100K, B taper)

there are x4 main types.
A = logarithmic
B = linear
C = reverse log
W = 'W-taper' (reverse log up to midpoint, regular log after midpoint)

wire:
SOLID CORE 22AWG

jacks: whatever floats your boat. i like open frame (full metal style) jacks. they're solid and reliable.
black plastic (cliff style) jacks are cheaper and generally fit better, along with other styles that people prefer.

opamps / transistors:
make sure you don't buy SMT/SMD (surface mount) opamps.
for most projects here, you want DIP / thru-hole opamps. same deal with transistors (although you can use adaptor boards with SMT transistors, but that's a story for another time).

EDIT:
i just realised you mentioned a shallow water clone. the ppcb low tide modulator.

ummm.. idk how to put this politely... but maybe a smaller build might be a better place to start.

I’ll be blunt. Don’t build that as your first pedal, OP!

Or if you do, go in eyes open that it will be a longer and harder process than you expected. We’ll help you out here either way tho.

There's something to be said around the topic of picking your battles. Picking a few low parts count builds and taking your time to get the inventory helped me a lot. I started the hobby wanting A and B and C. But I chose to build a few easy boards earlier and found that very helpful when I went to take on some of the more intense builds. Some build docs can seem overwhelming especially as a beginner. But if you do it a few times with smaller parts count builds you eventually get used to it (or your get used to placing 5 orders for 1 build).

wow thanks for all replys and a superthanks to Owlexifry for that guide. it sertanly cleared my mind a bit!

yes Im in europe, scandinavia so yeah shipping might get too expensive ordering from over the atlantic. I have seen packs/bundles
of amazon or aliexpress with transistors for example. Are these big NO NOs to use?

and about that build. Yes I hear you and I was thinking that myself. In other words try to build something easier like a fuzz maybe big muff clone,
but stranded there to with the trouble to find all right components. I give it a go again after getting my head around all the new nomenclature. and now I see why the "F" is dropped off sometimes;)

cheers guys

thanks to you I have found my first few capacitors. how about the size. when it says it should be Film capacitor, 7.2 x 2.5mm.
I guess this is the size for perfect match with pcb, but can i get away with smaller or larger size i guess it depends on the lengt of the component pins?

thanks to you I have found my first few capacitors. how about the size. when it says it should be Film capacitor, 7.2 x 2.5mm.
I guess this is the size for perfect match with pcb, but can i get away with smaller or larger size i guess it depends on the lengt of the component pins?

You'll be snipping off the excess length of the component pins. You want to find out the pin-spacing width.
So long as there's room and you're not going to short them out, pins can be bent and capacitors laid on their sides — so yes, smaller and sometimes larger physical packages can work — just don't box yourself into a corner: "oh this'll fit...[solders in huge cap] ... oh dang, now I need to solder the pots and that monster cap is in the way..." Or "it fit when I soldered it in, but the lid won't go on the enclosure 'cause the cap's too tall."

I'll try not to repeat what's already been posted, but some things bear repeating and others need clarification.

DO build something small to begin with as less parts means easier Trouble-Shooting. When opening your trouble-shooting threads (don't post in someone elses!), include clear photos that show the whole board (BOTH sides) and all its connections, close-ups of any suspected specific trouble-spots. The more you help those you seek to help you, the more likely the helpers are inclined to do so and the faster your build will be up and running properly.

Learn the parlance and common conventions.
It's NOT transister, it's transistor
It's NOT resister, like someone who resists arrest, but resistor
Capacitor, or cap, may be one of many kinds: ceramic, box-film, electrolytic, tantalum and sometimes mylar chiclets or monolythics. Check the lead spacing of your PCB before ordering. Most box-film will be 5mm while electrolytics are 2mm while ceramic, mylar and monolythic caps can vary but leads are easily bent in or out to suit your needs.
*Caps should be rated for about double or more of what you're running for juice in your pedal (including charge-pumps that bump things to 18v or 24v):
Power —> Cap-rating
9v —> use 18v caps
12v —> 25v caps
18v —> 35v caps
24v —> 50v caps
So don't order 600v caps for a pedal build, just 'cause they have the µF you need and are on sale.
Again, learn common conventions such as pin-numbering on toggles and footswitches — helps when troubleshooting if everyone is on the same page.

Know that there is no one-stop shop,
so besides Tayda there's :
Mouser,
Digikey,
Stompbox Parts,
Cabintech for ICs,
Small Bear/SynthCube,
Love My Switches,
Amplified Parts
— depending on where you are in the world (ok, Scandinavia) you may have to hit up other resources such as MusikDing or ukelectronique.de, or even further afield such as DIYguitarpedals.com.au.
Hunt the forums for info on who's reputable or disreputable — Banzai, Ebay sellers, etc.

Resistors: Some builds may require 1/8w, but you can probably stand 1/4w on end to fit; vice versa — some builders only buy 1/8w to streamline their inventories.

Pots: Read RG Keen's "The Secret Life of Pots". They can be wired as a voltage divider or as a rheostat. Some builds require 9mm, most require 16mm — get the 6.5mm shafts, not the 6mm, as most knobs are for 6.5. Note the split-shaft require press-on knobs but can take knobs with set screws, but smooth-shaft pots won't take press-fit and require set screw knobs.

Wire: 24AWG, tinned and pre-bonded stranded — great if you want to do 1590A pedals down the road (or even 26AWG for such small builds), but stick with larger enclosures to begin with. I like to use multiple colours — red for power, black for ground and separate colours for input and output — it can help when trouble-shooting a complex build that has lots of offboard wiring.
Do not buy solid-core, as it breaks and leaves you (needing) stranded.

Jacks: Always TOP-JACKS unless 1590A, but use whatever type-jack the build calls for which means open-ended for some, compact Lumbergs for others such as when the PCB is filling up the enclosure and leaves little space for your top jacks.
Power-jacks — outties, 'cause then you can pull the entire circuit out of the enclosure should it need repair or trouble-shooting. Innies you need to desolder or have used a quick-(dis)connect and while they may look better on an unplugged pedal — that's lost once you plug in power and patch-cables. You should always "rock it before you box it", make sure the circuit is operational before stuffing it inside an enclosure, but sometimes that isn't practical or feasible.

Transistors & Op-amps: There's a lot of interchangeability of parts where a build can utilise substitutes and sound just as good (often saving you making a special order); also, most often the affordable commonplace part will perform just as well as so-called mojo parts if they're of similar performance-spec — so don't get sucked into buying needlessly overpriced vintage parts that might be out-of-spec or outright fakes. If in doubt, ask about the part/vender in the forums. MIND THE PINOUTS! Just because a different transistor will work well as a substitute doesn't mean it has the same pinout as the part it's replacing.
The common order of Op-amp pinouts, for example, is to start upper left corner of the IC and go DOWN the left-side and then UP the right-side in counterclockwise fashion.
SOCKET your transistors and op-amps — if you fry something and need to trouble-shoot or just want to try a different component it's easy-peasy to swap.

Start reading spec-sheets and cross reference in the forums what people are talking about. Some things in spec sheets aren't so important while other specs are critical.

MOST IMPORTANTLY — do what is right for you.
You'll develop your own methods, conventions, practices, and PREFERENCES that work for you. Some people like knowing everything they can about the whys and wherefores of what makes a single-transistor circuit tick, and others just want a cool-sounding pedal and don't care if the build is complex so long as they follow the paint-by-numbers approach and get it right — theories and reading schematics be damned. Maybe you'll go insane and stuff simple boosts into oversized enclosures with side-jacks and solid-core wire — hey, if that's what flips your switch... May you find your own path swiftly, and enjoy the journey!

yes Im in europe, scandinavia so yeah shipping might get too expensive ordering from over the atlantic.
ah right, tayda might be a bummer for shipping.

have a look at http://www.banzaimusic.com/

based in germany. they have the most insanely vast inventory.
i’ve done a few orders from them, where they stocked parts i could find no where else.
prices seem on par with mouser.

Last edited:
Oof indeed.

I'm willing to give solid another try, but I have no problem with pre-tinned bonded stranded, as it behaves close enough to solid that I can shape the wire-routing as though it were solid core.

I've got some builds coming up, one of which I can choose to be the solid-core guinea-pig.

Anyway, just highlights that there's different ways to skin a cat.
I'll let you know how I get on with trying solid-core again, @owlexifry , but if I can dingus up simple enclosure-drillings then piddly little wires don't stand a chance against my dingus-abilities. 😸

EU building.. here's my experience in Germany.

Musikding is best for starting out. Get the whole kit. If it says it's in stock, it's in stock. Buy kits for your first 2-3 builds.
Banzai has a great range but you can't trust the inventory. Too many times we hear "delayed, out of stock" when it's in stock on the website.

If you want to buy components from overseas and not get hurt with shipping and customs then LCSC.com is great. Daier on AliExpress also has 125B enclosures in black or white for a good price and don't get hit by customs.

Banzai has a great range but you can't trust the inventory. Too many times we hear "delayed, out of stock" when it's in stock on the website.
omfg they’ve done this to me so many times. but i guess at least they don’t charge any extra to ship the backordered parts when they arrive in stock.

Oof indeed.

I'm willing to give solid another try, but I have no problem with pre-tinned bonded stranded, as it behaves close enough to solid that I can shape the wire-routing as though it were solid core.

I've got some builds coming up, one of which I can choose to be the solid-core guinea-pig.

Anyway, just highlights that there's different ways to skin a cat.
I'll let you know how I get on with trying solid-core again, @owlexifry , but if I can dingus up simple enclosure-drillings then piddly little wires don't stand a chance against my dingus-abilities. 😸
ayy that’s the spirit 💪🏻
you’ll have more fun i promise. just think of all the time you’ll save from not having to pre-tin
(tbh i still pre-tin for some joints)

but make sure you get 22AWG solid core (for pots, jacks, switch etc.)
24AWG solid core i only use for board jumpers.

omfg they’ve done this to me so many times. but i guess at least they don’t charge any extra to ship the backordered parts when they arrive in stock.

ayy that’s the spirit 💪🏻
you’ll have more fun i promise. just think of all the time you’ll save from not having to pre-tin
(tbh i still pre-tin for some joints)

but make sure you get 22AWG solid core (for pots, jacks, switch etc.)
24AWG solid core i only use for board jumpers.
I’m team “24awg stranded with silicon” for everything. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Another tip for Blokenator, one I wish I'd learned sooner in my solder journey:

series resistors sum, yes,
but,
parallel caps sum.

The opposite involves a little math.

Parallel resistors and series caps use the same formula.
1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ...
1/Cs= 1/C1 +1/C2+1/C3 +1/C4

Since I suck at math, I use this online calculator:

There are other websites with similar calculators, but that's the one I like: plain and simple.

Why is this useful?

For those times when you need a 50k resistor and all you have left in your parts-stash are 100k resistors — run two 100k in parallel to get 50k.
Or you can stick a 50k resistor across the outer lugs of a 100k potentiometer to get a 50k pot, albeit with a different taper than the stock pot. Read the Secret Life of Pots by RG Keen for more on this pot-manipulation.

The formula/online-calc is also useful for when you've run out of 470n caps and have 1µ and 820n left:

SERIES CAPS:
2 x 1µ = 500n
1µ + 820n = 450n55
2 x 820n = 410n

Wait, those results aren't close to 470n.

Depending on the cap you buy, they can have a fairly wide tolerance, as much as 20%, which means that 1µ cap might actually be closer to 1µ2 or 800n.
Measure the caps if you can, and select the ones that together come closest to your intended target-value. In this case, you could try to find an 820n cap that measures 10% more than target and another 820n that measures at 20% more than spec and you'd have 902n and 984n respectively.
Plug those numbers into the formula (or web-calc) and you get 470n61.

Mind, it's been my experience that if a cap isn't right at spec, it's often lower value not higher than spec. So you'd need to find a couple 1µ caps, one being 10% below spec (900n) and the other at or very near full spec (1µ) to get the desired 470n (900n + 1µ in series = 473n68).

No need to pay exorbitant shipping fees for a few cents worth of parts and then wait for the delivery — parallel/series parts to the rescue to complete your build right away!

Back