Coluber Constrictor

SYLV9ST9R

Another build I finished and boxed last night, which now works fine with a proper vactrol in it (went the cheap route first and evidently it was a fake). Pretty subtle, but I had limited time and will try it in different scenarios. But then again, I like optical comps but sometime wonder if I need it (I had a couple of Mooer Yellow comp, and a Diamond Comp Jr on my board then off...).

IMG_6426.jpg IMG_6424.jpg

I got the image through the Biodiversity Heritage Library’s site (they also have a great Flicker Account). The BHL is great, and a nice resource for flora and fauna DIY graphics, especially as a lot of the images fall under public domain. It was one of the few I downloaded for another pedal graphic, but I remembered I had a bunch of snakes, and thought I might have a constrictor in the lot, and there was this beaut’. I’m prety happy with the way it turned out, it ended up being a pretty complex vectorized piece, and it came out stellar (Tayda UV print). I used the matte gloss option, and it does add a nice sheen to it.

Source of image: John Edwards Holbrook. North American herpetology ; or, A description of the reptiles inhabiting the United States. Vol. 4. Philadelphia, J Dobson 1840.

Bonus, here’s a nice gallery of Coluber Constrictor, and a quote from wikipedia that suited the pedal: "Despite their specific name, constrictor, they do not really employ constriction, instead simply subduing struggling prey by pinning it bodily, pressing one or two coils against it to hold it in place instead of actually suffocating it."

Last edited:
Looks great, love the artwork on the enclosure.

My roommate in college was a biology major, he was always bringing in nice creatures to the apartment. Reminds me of that :)

Back