Compressors I built in 2021

I built the Guyatone PS-021 Guitar Exciter / Compressor (AionFX Meridian Exciter / Compressor). I have to say that I really like this exciter / compressor. Madbean is coming out with a Boss CS-3 board, this month. My two favorites, right now, are the OTC-201 and the Guyatone. I'm not a big compressor guy. I just use a little compression at the start of my chain. I find it just sounds a little bit better.
That one is still my favorite. I don't crank it but just enough to notice when it's off

That one is still my favorite. I don't crank it but just enough to notice when it's off
Just curious, but which one? TCPoint mentioned three different ones in the post you quoted, and I'm unfamiliar with the OTC-201...

I'm glad your thread came up again, to remind me I still haven't ordered the Orman PCB. Gotta get that before he stops offering it.

Reactions: fig
Just curious, but which one? TCPoint mentioned three different ones in the post you quoted, and I'm unfamiliar with the OTC-201...

I'm glad your thread came up again, to remind me I still haven't ordered the Orman PCB. Gotta get that before he stops offering it.
The Meridian. I'm on guitar if not obvious. The Orman is good but finicky. His website said he was working on an update for it

Coming back to this thread. The Creamery has taken over top duties again for now. I find I have to crank the Hi-Ex knob to get the high end where I want it, but the Meridian cuts a bit too much low end for me right now and that can't be fixed with the turn of a knob

I think in a band situation with a bassist the Meridian would still be the goat

I plan to get the Meridian kit from Das Musikding + i think 27k and C500k mod. It seems everyone says the bass build (PS-020?) is better for guitar than the actual guitar version. Any thoughts on what differs? Eould be nice if it didn't cut lows so much.
I will probably breadboard it first so I can try both. Or add 2 3PDT toggles swiches to flip between bass and guitar but that could get messy.
Anyone compare the stock B1M sustain with C500k + 27k?
Cheers

I plan to get the Meridian kit from Das Musikding + i think 27k and C500k mod. It seems everyone says the bass build (PS-020?) is better for guitar than the actual guitar version. Any thoughts on what differs? Eould be nice if it didn't cut lows so much.
I will probably breadboard it first so I can try both. Or add 2 3PDT toggles swiches to flip between bass and guitar but that could get messy.
Anyone compare the stock B1M sustain with C500k + 27k?
Cheers
It would be cool to compare the bass version. I did the c500k mod and my sustain knob lives at around 9 or 10 0 clock

Huge fan of the Genral Tso. I never liked compersor pedals until I built that one. And I love General Tso's for lunch or dinner so maybe there is a connection.

Huge fan of the Genral Tso. I never liked compersor pedals until I built that one. And I love General Tso's for lunch or dinner so maybe there is a connection.
What did you compare with, and what made you like General Tso more, if I may ask?

EDIT: I notice it is Opto type. I already built Zirconia that I like. Attempted Thumb Sucker, but my kit distorts too much, so now I am considering Pumpernickel and Meridian to try out.

Last edited:
What did you compare with, and what made you like General Tso more, if I may ask?

EDIT: I notice it is Opto type. I already built Zirconia that I like. Attempted Thumb Sucker, but my kit distorts too much, so now I am considering Pumpernickel and Meridian to try out.
I haven't built the Tso's but just wanted to chime in and say not all Opto compressors are the same. The 3 I've built are all different.

I haven't built the Tso's but just wanted to chime in and say not all Opto compressors are the same. The 3 I've built are all different.
Thanks. Good to know. I was trying with an OTA (LM13700) as well, but got stuck for now, so will try other designs. I like the Zirconia quite a bit, so might be more optos in the future. Which 3 did you build? Any favourite (and why)?

I don’t have much to compare with. Just the dyna comp. What I like about the General Tso is you can blend in the comp and it sounds very natural when you want it and squishy if you want it.

Thanks. Good to know. I was trying with an OTA (LM13700) as well, but got stuck for now, so will try other designs. I like the Zirconia quite a bit, so might be more optos in the future. Which 3 did you build? Any favourite (and why)?
So far I've built the AionFX Oceanid (Cornish OC-1) mainly because I'd never drop the coin for a real Cornish pedal, and I wanted to check it out.
That was my first optical compressor I found that I liked it better than the VCA type compressors I was using before. (Keeley and Wampler Ego)

Then I built the Constrictor (Demeter Compulator) mainly because @szukalski built it.....:).....and it's generally touted as a very transparent compressor. I LOVE IT, very transparent but effective.

Then I recently built the Delegate Boneyard Edition (EQD Warden) because it was a Boneyard edition with Chuck's circuit improvements.

They all sound a little different. The Delegate has the most tonal coloration I would say. My least favorite of the 3.

It's a toss up between the OC-1 and the Compulator which I like better. I really really like them both. The Cornish has more compression available on tap and can get squishier than the Constrictor but they both are pretty transparent. In general, I prefer a more subtle compression and tend to use a compressor in a way that it's "barely there" and you don't know it's on until you turn it off. I'm not after a super obviously compressed sound. I use a compressor mainly to even out the chords recording rhythm guitar parts, and also for adding sustain to overdrive without adding more gain. I also tend to play at low volumes whether its through my monitors or my amp. A compressor can give some of the natural compression that a cranked amp gives you but at lower volumes.

On deck I just got the boards for the "RoughCut" and "Oracle" from MadBeanPedals. The Roughcut is a modified Diamond Compressor (optical) and the "Oracle" is his version of the venerable Boss CS-3 (VCA). I have no idea if I'll like them or not but I'll find out:)

Back