Conspiracy to Commit Electronics - Formal Intro

Are tayda drill templates coming at some point? I'd prefer to get a coated enclosure
They will be coming at some point, I'll see if I can get that up in the next day or so. I was on the fence about stocking powdercoated enclosures for this one, but decided against it, especially since using a faceplate opens it up for those that don't do UV printing but still want spray/powdercoat/handpainted finishes to choose different colors.

EDIT: I forgot it doesn't take long to just share it over, so it's done. Drill template has been added to the post here.

Last edited:
They will be coming at some point, I'll see if I can get that up in the next day or so. I was on the fence about stocking powdercoated enclosures for this one, but decided against it, especially since using a faceplate opens it up for those that don't do UV printing but still want spray/powdercoat/handpainted finishes to choose different colors.
I haven't done any uv prints yet but I'm looking forward to giving it a try. I have some graphics mocked up for a vampire slayer already. I'm hoping I can land on something cool for the Nobelium but I picked up a face plate just in case

people that can afford one will buy one, and the people that can't afford one still have an option
This is what it’s about 👆. Plus the ability to customize if you so desire.

Just posted the Nobelium BOM on the product page for the PCBs, you can see it here.
Thanks so much! Just ordered a couple, and I can’t wait to get them on my gigging boards. My “real” one is going to stay in the home studio from now on 😃

Saw you got them up the other day... also saw they went from 20 availiable to 10 in like a day so I ordered one while I could. (Is there any way to order the faceplate separate? I'll probably get one here when I order the enclosure, just have to do little bits at a time so my wife doesn't have a cow at all the stuff I'm ordering. Have most of the parts already, and the rest of the small stuff is on it's way. Still need to order the transformer and the tubes.

Which Transformer do you recommend? They're close enough to the same price... Jensen's got name recognition and history, but "lightning boy" is what you've been using in your stuff for a while...

*The guys in the band do call me "Thunderchops"... hmm.../ maybe that's a sign.?. *
Should be fun.

Thank you.

Saw you got them up the other day... also saw they went from 20 availiable to 10 in like a day so I ordered one while I could. (Is there any way to order the faceplate separate? I'll probably get one here when I order the enclosure, just have to do little bits at a time so my wife doesn't have a cow at all the stuff I'm ordering. Have most of the parts already, and the rest of the small stuff is on it's way. Still need to order the transformer and the tubes.

Which Transformer do you recommend? They're close enough to the same price... Jensen's got name recognition and history, but "lightning boy" is what you've been using in your stuff for a while...

*The guys in the band do call me "Thunderchops"... hmm.../ maybe that's a sign.?. *
Should be fun.

Thank you.
I can absolutely get you a faceplate separately if you want, just shoot me a message and I can get it figured out for you.

I've been using Lightning Boy for a couple years and they've been great. I still like the Jensen, they're just not as convenient to order in small quantities.

I may be adding another transformer option in the near future, but I'm not 100% sure yet.

I was looking for transformer alternatives, just to see what's out there and what might be affordably found in Canada.

The Hammond 1140-DB-A might do.

Nickel alloy cores
Frequency Response: 20 Hz. – 20 Khz. ±0.35 db, (ref. @ 1 Khz) ✔️
Low distortion at levels up to +27 dBu @ 20Hz.
Shielding – Mu Metal enclosures

Specifications
Impedance Ratio: 200k:1k5 . . . . . . . . .[Jensen JT-DB-EBC is 150k:1k]
Turns Ratio: 12:1 ✔️
Max Input @ 20Hz: +22dBu
THD@20Hz: 0.02%
Frequency Response 20Hz-20kHz: -0.07dB/+0.07dB

I was looking for transformer alternatives, just to see what's out there and what might be affordably found in Canada.

The Hammond 1140-DB-A might do.

Nickel alloy cores
Frequency Response: 20 Hz. – 20 Khz. ±0.35 db, (ref. @ 1 Khz) ✔️
Low distortion at levels up to +27 dBu @ 20Hz.
Shielding – Mu Metal enclosures

Specifications
Impedance Ratio: 200k:1k5 . . . . . . . . .[Jensen JT-DB-EBC is 150k:1k]
Turns Ratio: 12:1 ✔️
Max Input @ 20Hz: +22dBu
THD@20Hz: 0.02%
Frequency Response 20Hz-20kHz: -0.07dB/+0.07dB
Any DI transformer should be fine, I expect the Hammond would work if you can find a good way to mount it.

I can absolutely get you a faceplate separately if you want, just shoot me a message and I can get it figured out for you.

I've been using Lightning Boy for a couple years and they've been great. I still like the Jensen, they're just not as convenient to order in small quantities.

I may be adding another transformer option in the near future, but I'm not 100% sure yet.
I think the Jensen factory just relocated and that supply, in theory, should be more friendly and available in the near future for small quantity orders.

has anyone already built the supersonic? Is there some demo one can hear?
I imagine a lot of people are waiting for me to get their revised Live Laugh Love enclosures finished up and shipped with their revised PCBs. This has been unfortunately delayed as I think my UV printer may finally be dead, I'll be emailing everyone this evening with options.

I made a quick phone-camera demo when I built up the first one.

Live, laugh, love movie caused me a divorce lol. Or eat, laugh, love?

I’m hopeful for a tube for a tube compressor at some point. I’ve never been able to find a board for one. All I’ve seen are BajasLA2A and whatever the photo is I’ve attached that I found browsing.

Something more akin to a Kingsley Harlot unless there’s already something I’m not aware of.

I’ve often wondered what the Electra and actual MiniBoost variants would sound like with tubes as well.

Maybe a tube buffered effects loop. Again this may already exist.

The ability to turn the boost on/off of the Ambassador ang possible a tone network for the boost as well. I’ve spoken with Nathan briefly on this and he did offer some component changes. Thanks again brother. The Ambassador going into an AC style amp and in my case a Bad Cat Cub and be a bit piercing with the boost alone.

Either way I’m just happy the company lives on. Thanks for all the hard work.

Attachments

• Tube Comp.GIF
    Tube Comp.GIF
    7.7 KB · Views: 12
Somewhere I saw a current measurement of one of these, but I can’t find it. They all run off 9v, but I thought the smaller ones were in the 500 mA range and the bigger ones 1000 mA?!?

Somewhere I saw a current measurement of one of these, but I can’t find it. They all run off 9v, but I thought the smaller ones were in the 500 mA range and the bigger ones 1000 mA?!?
I recommend at least 400mA for the single tube ones and at least 660mA for the two-tube ones (Cioks works great). The current draw goes down when the tubes are warmed up, but they will try to pull quite a bit in order to get there.

Tubes are needy.

O
I recommend at least 400mA for the single tube ones and at least 660mA for the two-tube ones (Cioks works great). The current draw goes down when the tubes are warmed up, but they will try to pull quite a bit in order to get there.

Tubes are needy.
Yeah I've got a Cioks DC7. So a single tap would power both a single and a double tube (660mA at 9v). Cool. Although you say "at least". Nevertheless, I'll probably start with a single tube so no problem. Leaning towards the Kingsley, although the Nobelium looks awesome too!

Back