Converting 9V DC to 9V AC

fydo

Howdy! Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

I keep seeing the L5 Preamp on Aion and feeling tempted, but then I see the power requirements: it needs 9V AC. I've grown to be pretty picky about power requirements over the years (I ended up selling my DigiTech Whammy 4 a while back mostly because dealing with the power is a pain)

Since I know little about AC power, I figured I'd ask here: Is there any way one could reliably convert 9V DC to 9V AC in a small(ish) PCB that one could stuff into an enclosure along with the L5 Preamp PCB? I suspect the answer is no otherwise Aion would likely include it on the PCB already.

Thanks in advance,

fydo

Last edited:
According to the IVP Preamp project announcement post, he figured out how to get the +/-15V needed with a DC-DC converter. So the schematic for the IVP may help you figure out what is needed and then maybe you can figure out where to plug it into the L5 circuit.

Although, it may be worth waiting on the possible future L5 redesign he alluded to in the current sale/8 new project announcement.

Last edited:
Aha! Thank you both RetiredUnit1 and cwsquared for the information. I think I'll just wait and see what happens with the L5 update.

Cheers!

The image @RetiredUnit1 posted above isn’t loading for me, but I’m guessing it involves a simple oscillator creating a 60hz sine wave that’s either 6v or 5.5v PTP, and a 1:20 step-up transformer, giving 60 either 110v or 120v… probably more complicated than that, but that’s the best I can imagine

That said, I think you’d probably have a lot of potential for complications and extraneous noise by converting from 9vdc to 120vac to +/-15vdc. Just a whole lotta conversion going on there…

Howdy! Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

I keep seeing the L5 Preamp on Aion and feeling tempted, but then I see the power requirements: it needs 9V AC. I've grown to be pretty picky about power requirements over the years (I ended up selling my DigiTech Whammy 4 a while back mostly because dealing with the power is a pain)

Since I know little about AC power, I figured I'd ask here: Is there any way one could reliably convert 9V DC to 9V AC in a small(ish) PCB that one could stuff into an enclosure along with the L5 Preamp PCB? I suspect the answer is no otherwise Aion would likely include it on the PCB already.

Thanks in advance,

fydo
I cut the cord with 16 x 18650 batteries on parallel sleds, but wired in series for 16v-ish at around 18AH. 2 MP1584EN provide 6A of 9v across two banks of 8 dc sockets. Runs the Whammy DT no problem. It lasts for months before having to recharge. The converters run at mHz speed and are dead silent, quieter than my voodoo pedal power, and cost about a buck on eBay. The chip requires at least 3v over the target of 9v, which is why I decided on 16v of pure DC. The 18650 batteries have enough current to run vape pens and mini-spot welders. And are the battery used for Tesla battery arrays.

The danger comes in not testing the mega-ohms after charging them. If they are less than 150M they're good to use. When they get up to 250M they flame on when the current from surrounding batteries turn them into flame throwers. Current battery packs are made without sensors to determine when it's time to recycle the battery, this is why I decided to use sleds instead of a BMS with spot welded battery packs. Besides the sleds are cheap at tayda, lol.

I don't see any low cost inverter boards that would produce 9vac tho. Would be an interesting project, but my plate is full for at least the next year with six tube amps and 10 pedals, not to mention house maintenance. (aaarrrggghhh)

1679856507028.png

Making a smaller more portable unit is on the project list, after testing one sled I decided to abort this design and go with 8 batteries tho.

1679856715227.png

Back