Dan Boost - Rat's nest edition

jhaneyzz

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I was inspired by Dan's @jjjimi84 video of the "Dan Boost" last week and couldn't resist following his recipe for this excellent treble booster with a bit of my own twisted twist.

I just can't leave well enough alone and feel compelled to do things my own way. (Usually leads to pretty specular failure)

But I've been practicing this Lovecraft wiring thing and while the risk-reward ratio is not in the builder's favor, I find it kinda fun. Wildly impractical, but fun.

And once again. for those keeping score, zero issues with noise or RF interference.

This is my first Treble Booster and I really like it. It is definitely possible to get sets of ratio/tone/volume that choke the life out or your signal but I like the wide range of tweaking this allows. (You don't know you've gone far enough until you've gone too far)

I agree with Dan that the circuit on the breadboard sounded a bit better without the 1N914, but I couldn't resist including one of my unobtainium diodes in the build.

I ended up using a pretty high output (485 hfe) BC108 as the tranny. Sounded much better than the 200-300 hfe's I tried as well.

IMG_7429.jpg

IMG_7431.jpg

IMG_7427.jpg

IMG_7418.jpg

IMG_7424.jpg

IMG_7400.jpg
This is

Last edited:
Unfortunately....

There is a bad solder connection somewhere... Once in a while it kinda strangles out. If I give it a good bump it comes back.

I might submit it to the troubleshooting forum just for laughs...

What a funtastic build!

Looks like you need to scale it up to full-blown rollercoaster size and open your own amusement park.

My roll of solid-core jumper wire has arrived, but I think I'll start out small, maybe a BazzFuss Em-drive or something similar.

That thing looks very industrial, and the light on it... seems familiar...

GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN!

65331f70fff21fe942461632317a20258f6d1295.gif

Back