SOLVED Depth pot on Circulator phaser acts as a volume knob in two of the three Range settings

Wrong. The PV switch, which should be two position ON/ON, will turn the DEPTH control into a VOLUME control when set to the VIBRATO position.

The RANGE switch will stop the LFO in the middle position.

Wrong. The PV switch, which should be two position ON/ON, will turn the DEPTH control into a VOLUME control when set to the VIBRATO position.

The RANGE switch will stop the LFO in the middle position.
Thanks for responding. All knobs and switches appear to be working properly except positions one and two on the range switch sound exactly the same and the Depth pot works as a volume control in those two positions (whether it's set to Phase or Vibrato).

I don't own an o-scope, but I have a multimeter. The switch itself ohms out properly, and the components are in their correct spots. I've checked for continuity/opens/shorts, but I'm getting nowhere.

Any help is much appreciated!

Last edited:
Very good! I wish everyone on the troubleshooting forum provided pix of this quality.

Looks like you mounted the pots & switches off-board. The switch in pic #3, which switch is that?

Have you double-checked that the wiring to all switches and pots is correct and there are no broken wires?

Last edited:
The switch in pic #3, which switch is that?

That's the 3-position Range switch.

Have you double-checked that the wiring to all switches and pots is correct and there are no broken wires?

Triple-checked, as of a few minutes ago. All pots and switches appear to be functioning properly. I didn't find any shorts/opens between pot- or switch-lugs or pads. No broken wires.

I pulled the Depth pot out of the circuit to isolate and ohm it out. Zero to slightly above 1M.

I'm attaching a couple more pictures.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 9
I finally got a chance to check it out today. Indeed, the switches were swapped. Thanks for pointing out my bone-headed troubleshooting skills. Now the P/V turns the DEPTH control into a VOLUME control when set to the VIBRATO position, and the RANGE switch stops the LFO in the middle position.

So now that it's all intact, I have a question about the middle position on the RANGE switch. As it shuts off the LFO, what effect should I be hearing? It's not phasing or vibrating. I can get some tone adjustment, mainly from the DEPTH and RES pots...is that what I should be hearing when the RANGE switch is in the middle position?

Thanks again for your help!

It's doing what it's supposed to do. Fixed phase is a "comb filter." It alters the tone, but since there is no movement, the effect is much less pronounced.

I found this by visual inspection. Best troubleshooting tool there is.

Glad you got it fixed, mark it SOLVED.

Back