Deuterium Oxide (2x Arche Boost)

AceHyzer

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
After watching an episode of TPS where they played the Thorpyfx Heavy Water, I wanted one so I decided I'd try to fit two arche boosts in a 1590BB vertical. It was my first attempt at doing any sort of customization of a layout, all my prior builds have been fully paint by numbers.

I decided I wanted to add the order switcher in as well so that I could switch between clean boost > dirty boost and vice versa. Although, the sonic difference between the two has turned out to be small enough that if I ever build another of these, I would exclude it!

For the dirty boost side, I used two D9Bs with a vF of ~400mV. It adds just a slight bit of character that I really like.

The Arche boost definitely has a lot of volume on tap. It's just above unity when boost is fully counter-clockwise. I found that if stacking them, I prefer to keep them both between 9:00 and 12:00, otherwise it's a bit much. I did push my 50W Plexi into some pretty significant feedback with both the boosts engaged and dimed. It was fun, but not actually very usable for me.

I really like the flexibility of having two great sounding boosts in a single pedal, so for now, this has kicked my Powersound Overdrive off my board.

The graphics are a sunnyscopa film free waterslide. I borked my first attempt, then following the instructions from sunnyscopa, used acetone to take the print off, only to find out that the paint I had used for the enclosure also is taken off by acetone. So after repainting and waiting for it to dry, I gave it another shot. The second time I almost got the whole decal removed without pulling up any of the print, but I slightly borked the second "lows", not bad enough to worry about redoing it, though!

I'm still trying to master the film free waterslide decals, I attempted another one today and it was another failure. They definitely seem fickle.

Anyways, it was a fun new challenge for me, and I really dig the circuit. 🤘

IMG_2565.jpeg IMG_2564.jpeg IMG_2568.jpeg

Back