Did anyone get the Spin software working on Mac?

Not that I know of. I did see a SpinAsm compiler for linux that might could be recompiled to run on Mac, but I'm just guessing.

Have you tried running it in a Windows virtual machine?

SpinCAD runs just fine, but hopefully, I configure out how to flash the eprom with a ch341 programmer when I have 8 programs I like ;)

You can load HEX files into the eight banks using SpinCAD then Export a single combined HEX.

You can't actually edit the algorithms that you load in as HEX, but it does allow you to combine them.

Not that I know of. I did see a SpinAsm compiler for linux that might could be recompiled to run on Mac, but I'm just guessing.

Have you tried running it in a Windows virtual machine?
I do have it working on virtual but I’d ideally not need that extra environment just for this purpose. I think it’s my best bet though. I need to clean that environment and do a full reinstall of the libraries and such through Eclipse though. Last time I did it I must have goofed things up and I don’t see half the stuff in the directions for installing. I was able to flash an eeprom with the adjusted order of Threeverb algorithms (bin file you sent me) though so I know that part works.

You can load HEX files into the eight banks using SpinCAD then Export a single combined HEX.

You can't actually edit the algorithms that you load in as HEX, but it does allow you to combine them.
Does this mean I could download the sample ones and create the hex file? Then do I have to convert the hex file to a bin file? There are some sample effects I want to experiment with but I don’t really know where to start when it comes to compiling them for the FV-1 dev board.

Hey all, I'm in a similar predicament here. SpinASM will run (using Wine) but crash whenever I try to build anything. Any tips or alternatives?

I use the Spin IDE in Windows XP in VirtualBox. It's a little weird, but it's been very reliable and it was free. Honestly it's easier to keep this freaky VM frozen in time than keeping a modern development environment up to date.

Luckily they haven't updated the Spin site in 10 years, so it still works with IE 8 and you can even pull stuff down from there straight to the VM.

I write code and manage the files in a Mac editor and just paste it into the Spin IDE to compile and flash the spin dev board.

I use the Spin IDE in Windows XP in VirtualBox. It's a little weird, but it's been very reliable and it was free. Honestly it's easier to keep this freaky VM frozen in time than keeping a modern development environment up to date.

Luckily they haven't updated the Spin site in 10 years, so it still works with IE 8 and you can even pull stuff down from there straight to the VM.

I write code and manage the files in a Mac editor and just paste it into the Spin IDE to compile and flash the spin dev board.
Ah interesting, thanks. Is there a legit place to get the XP iso file or is it just a case of taking your chances with a random download?

I've had zero problems using the asfv1 and disfv1 Python modules in Linux. On Mac, if you have Python3 installed, it should be as simple as:
Bash:
pip3 install --user asfv1 disfv1

Then you can compile your code like this:
Bash:
python3 -m asfv1 -p 0 mycode.asm mybank.bin
0 is which slot you want to assign to the patch in the bank​
mycode.asm is the code you wrote​
mybank.bin is the binary file that you'll flash to your EEPROM​
You can learn more here:
https://pypi.org/project/asfv1/
https://pypi.org/project/disfv1/

Last edited:
What do you use to actually program the EEPROM (specifically with OSX)?

I’ve seems suggestions for pickit2, but that doesn’t seem to be made anymore. I assume the pickit3 should be similar.

Also seen solutions to use arduino or basic microchip programmers, but it’s all a bit confusing for someone that hasn’t programmed EEPROMs before.

Thanks!

What do you use to actually program the EEPROM (specifically with OSX)?

I’ve seems suggestions for pickit2, but that doesn’t seem to be made anymore. I assume the pickit3 should be similar.

Also seen solutions to use arduino or basic microchip programmers, but it’s all a bit confusing for someone that hasn’t programmed EEPROMs before.

Thanks!
The CH341a chip. Right now, the chips are in short supply and only available on these USB sticks with sockets.
https://www.amazon.com/AiTrip-CH341A-EEPROM-Programmer-Adapter/dp/B07VNVX181/

It's as simple as plugging it into any USB port, opening up a command line, then run the ch341aeeprom binary. I've never done it on Mac, but I do have a Mac available I can use to test this if you guys are all struggling.

Back