Did you solder your "magic" diodes into your Kliche/Klone build?

I have some 34a’s from what I thought was a reputable source and they have measured anywhere from .4 to .7 with a couple shorted out they look good though and probably 1/3rd of them are in the .35 to .38 range. I wonder if it’s just older stuff and variance who knows. I have found the ones that test good to be usable as clipping diodes for. A slightly different flavor than 4148’s. Other trusted source mine always hover right around .32-.35 ish it seems I pretty much will only buy them from stompbox parts anymore.

My klon build I did the breadboard thing soldered a couple wires in ran them to a bread board, auditioned diodes. If I remember correctly I ended up with some 34’as that measured in the .32-.35 range.

So a quick trip down the rabbit hole makes me curious about SMD Schottky diodes. I'll probably be trying that myself, but anyone?

Last edited:
Talking about the Fv of a diode is difficult unless you know the current applied to the DUT. Diodes are non-linear. They cannot be characterized the same way passives such as resistors or capacitors can.

https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/pedalhacker-on-vacation.12691/post-142953

I'm pretty green with electronics and really just pick stuff up from reading and building and the Klon diodes are something I've read a bit about but my lack of electronics understanding means I just have to go off the stuff I've read and trust others.

"For semiconductors (i.e., diodes here), that isn't the case. The forward voltage of a diode is a snapshot given a supplied current. The way that current changes with voltage is expressed with a V-I (voltage-current) graph or curve. You'll see how the arc of the curve is different for different types of diodes. This difference in response is experienced in differences in clipping behavior. Ge devices typically have a 'rounder' feel. This is seen when the graph is a more gradual curve rather than a sharper curve that approaches vertical with increased voltage."

I had wondered how, if they are going to ground, they could have much affect beyond vf but this makes sense. It's not necessarily where you're going but also how you get there - thanks.

Back