Diplomat - Matchless DC30's EF86 Channel

Bumping the thread to let everyone know that Ambassador PCBs are no longer be available from Sushi Box, from now on they will be sold by Conspiracy to Commit Electronics (@C2C Electronics). I'm still involved, but trying to be less in charge.

Enclosures are still available, but listed separately.

@vigilante398 there are discrepancies between the BOM and the silkscreen (e.g., two 1k5 resistors spec’d in the BOM, but nothing on the board). Should it be built to the values indicated on the board?

@vigilante398 there are discrepancies between the BOM and the silkscreen (e.g., two 1k5 resistors spec’d in the BOM, but nothing on the board). Should it be built to the values indicated on the board?
It should be the values indicated on the board, there may be some things in the BOM that got carried over when I reused the template from Particle Accelerator. I thought I had fixed them, but apparently not. I'll get that taken care of, sorry about that.

I almost finished my Diplomat (kit from Das Musikding) i just need to add the font.

For now i just bench test it to make sure it is working good, B+ is 257V, plate voltage is 71V and cathode 1,4V.

If i understand correctly it is possible to increase the B+, i can see the HV board (sold separately) have a trimmer to set the voltage.
Is change the resistor 5 and 6 the correct way to increase B+? If yes any tips to go from 257V to 320V?

Screenshot_20240223_093811.jpg

IMG_20240222_144335.jpg

IMG_20240221_111740.jpg

I almost finished my Diplomat (kit from Das Musikding) i just need to add the font.

For now i just bench test it to make sure it is working good, B+ is 257V, plate voltage is 71V and cathode 1,4V.

If i understand correctly it is possible to increase the B+, i can see the HV board (sold separately) have a trimmer to set the voltage.
Is change the resistor 5 and 6 the correct way to increase B+? If yes any tips to go from 257V to 320V?

View attachment 69222

View attachment 69223

View attachment 69224
That is correct, adjusting the ratio between R5 and R6 sets the high voltage from the SMPS. I don't know offhand what will give you 320V, but I typically leave R5 at 4k7 and drop the value of R6. You could try dropping it from 560R to 390R or so, that will likely get you around the ballpark.

Keep in mind that you will want to make sure you are using a 400V filter cap (C1) if you increase the voltage. The 257V on a 250V starts to make me nervous; you can get away with slipping above the rating for a little bit, but if your steady-state voltage is 257V consistently (which is weird, I expect 235-240V with the 4k7/560R setup), it could contribute to an early failure of the capacitor.

OK thanks for your reply, if needed I will adjust R6. And change C1.

... Is increasing the input voltage (the 9V) also increase the output voltage of the SMPS ? I was thinking that 257V was good because it is mentioned 250V on the schematic.
My power supply is the Palmer PWT12 https://www.palmer-germany.com/en/products/power-supplies-chargers/18553/pwt-12-mk-2
It has 4 adjustable outlets 500mA (until 18V), I did set the trimmer to 9V but didn't check the accuracy, it could be a pinch higher.

OK thanks for your reply, if needed I will adjust R6. And change C1.

... Is increasing the input voltage (the 9V) also increase the output voltage of the SMPS ? I was thinking that 257V was good because it is mentioned 250V on the schematic.
My power supply is the Palmer PWT12 https://www.palmer-germany.com/en/products/power-supplies-chargers/18553/pwt-12-mk-2
It has 4 adjustable outlets 500mA (until 18V), I did set the trimmer to 9V but didn't check the accuracy, it could be a pinch higher.
The SMPS is regulated, so the value of the input voltage does not affect the output voltage of the SMPS.

Curious form someone who knows nothing about what you guys are talking about above, why would one want to increase the voltage?
@vigilante398 @Creach
It gives a different character to the sound. It's hard to put exact words on it, but the most common ones I hear from customers are "full", "rich", and "thick". My understanding is that it's similar to solid-state devices in that it increases the clean headroom, but it also changes the way the tube is biased, so it affects the tone and feel a bit as well.

I should note I don't have any specific scholarly articles to reference on this, just my experience with stuff. When I first started doing tube preamps I ran them all at 235-240V (which is where the DIY projects are set), then eventually stepped them up to 350V.

Back