DEMO Diplomat (SushiBoxFX)

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
So if you've already built the Echo Foxtrot from @vigilante398 DON'T BE LIKE MIKE and steal the EF86 tube from it to put in your Diplomat thinking that it pretty much does the same thing.....these are very different pedals and both their own thing going on!

This another one of Nathan's very cool new layout projects that is SO MUCH easier to build than the his Gen1 DIY PCB's.

Excellent layout, lots of room for components, low noise floor, and glorious tube sound!

This one according to Nathan is based on the EF86 channel of the Matchless DC30.

It's got a crap load of gain on tap, must be something like +20db at least. I barely had mine cracked. Perfect for pushing the front end of the an amp which is where this pedal shines. Compared to the Echo Foxtrot which I found to be better suited as a unity gain tone conditioner. The Diplomat BOOST like a MOTHER.

There's an 8 way rotary switch that selects different capacitors for tonal response. At the highest setting it can sound a bit like a treble booster, or at least it functions that way.

Lots of really cool useful sounds and excellent build!

Thanks @vigilante398 !!!

I painted the enclosure I got from Nathan a Fire Orange.

IMG_4660.JPG

I used a Water Clear red LED and not too happy with it. Seems a little too dim. I'll probably go back in swap it out for a blue one or clear one.

IMG_4659.JPG

In the demo I'm using my recently re-necked Tele Thinline. Falling in love all over again with this guitar!

Starting out using a clean amp to show the different tonal options on the rotary dial. Then I'm switching to a crunchy amp setting and pushing it with the Diplomat, which is where this pedal really shines in my opinion!

So if you've already built the Echo Foxtrot from @vigilante398 DON'T BE LIKE MIKE and steal the EF86 tube from it to put in your Diplomat thinking that it pretty much does the same thing.....these are very different pedals and both their own thing going on!

This another one of Nathan's very cool new layout projects that is SO MUCH easier to build than the his Gen1 DIY PCB's.

Excellent layout, lots of room for components, low noise floor, and glorious tube sound!

This one according to Nathan is based on the EF86 channel of the Matchless DC30.

It's got a crap load of gain on tap, must be something like +20db at least. I barely had mine cracked. Perfect for pushing the front end of the an amp which is where this pedal shines. Compared to the Echo Foxtrot which I found to be better suited as a unity gain tone conditioner. The Diplomat BOOST like a MOTHER.

There's an 8 way rotary switch that selects different capacitors for tonal response. At the highest setting it can sound a bit like a treble booster, or at least it functions that way.

Thanks @vigilante398 !!!

View attachment 46601

I used a Water Clear red LED and not too happy with it. Seems a little too dim. I'll probably go back in swap it out for a blue one or clear one.

View attachment 46602

In the demo I'm using my recently re-necked Tele Thinline. Falling in love all over again with this guitar!

Starting out using a clean amp to show the different tonal options on the rotary dial. Then I'm switching to a crunchy amp setting and pushing it with the Diplomat, which is where this pedal really shines in my opinion!

Have you tried a different Ef86 in this? Looks like you have a Russian winged c in there.

That’s not a JJ in the photo. That’s a Russian ef86/6j32p. There several rebrands of that tube. For instance I have one that’s branded Sylvania made in Holland and a winged c branded. Pretty sure they’re all the same tube though. Most likely from the 80s

Thanks @vigilante398 !!!

View attachment 46601

View attachment 46602

I played this demo for my brother in law who is an amazing guitarist and he immediately said "That guy's tone is amazing..." Then he turned on the pedal and now of course he wants me to make one for him...

That’s not a JJ in the photo. That’s a Russian ef86/6j32p. There several rebrands of that tube. For instance I have one that’s branded Sylvania made in Holland and a winged c branded. Pretty sure they’re all the same tube though. Most likely from the 80s
I don't recall where I got it. It must have been Amplified Parts, where I usually get my tubes. But it's the only EF86 I've ever bought hahaha.

In the pic of the face of the pedal, it's got the TAD logo. You can see it through the vents

Yep your exactly right. I’ve been wondering if that what TAD was using as their EF86 since they’re so abundant. I assume all of them are the same Russian tube. They look the same and all have the Russian getter.

Here’s a Sylvania “made in Holland” branded and A Sed Winged c brand.

Regardless it sounds sweet in your demo. I’d like to hear a Telefunken or Mullard with the silver plates. Those have been my 2 favorites thus far followed by Amplitrex (Philips) mesh plate.

Attachments

• A51AC0A0-C0E6-4E87-8D43-E17B70578814.png
    A51AC0A0-C0E6-4E87-8D43-E17B70578814.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 3
  • B1D5E424-CA35-4ACE-828E-ADA834A9A1BC.png
    B1D5E424-CA35-4ACE-828E-ADA834A9A1BC.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 7DAFB701-C8C4-447D-A4E8-E4E858EB4444.png
    7DAFB701-C8C4-447D-A4E8-E4E858EB4444.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 2
  • 38C3E69A-3D46-49AF-9F09-06246EF78DDC.png
    38C3E69A-3D46-49AF-9F09-06246EF78DDC.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 3
Do you find it’s adding a bit of compression? Kind of sounds like it from the video, but then again maybe YouTube is just up to tricks. (I don’t mean that in a bad way, though!) I really like the sound either way. There’s a nice punchiness to it without being too “spiky” or abrasive.

Do you find it’s adding a bit of compression? Kind of sounds like it from the video, but then again maybe YouTube is just up to tricks. (I don’t mean that in a bad way, though!) I really like the sound either way. There’s a nice punchiness to it without being too “spiky” or abrasive.
If I had my guess it’s be YouTube compression. EF86 in my experience are very punchy and chimey. They can tend to get a little wooly on the lows if the bass is too high. A good grade ef86 can make huge difference though.

Back