Dream Fuzz - No Output

keithwarburg

This is my first pedal build, but not my first rodeo with soldering and electronics. I think I have it all right, but when I try to run the pedal, I get no output to the amp. I can hear a low clean signal, but the pots and switch do nothing but light up.

Looking again, it seems that I put a 3-way toggle on the PCB for the tone switch rather than a 2-way On-On. That's what I get for using mystery suppliers (it was sold as an On-On, but the switch itself says On-Off-One.

Would the switch be the issue here? I have a new 2-way On-On inbound, but I don't want to get my hopes up if that's not the issue. Thanks!

Echoing those before me
1. You'll need a new stomp unless you're pretty good at desoldering, but my experience has been that it's not worth it. Yours is rotated 90 degrees from where it should be.

2. The output jack looks as though you've mixed up the ground and signal lugs.

3. Also on the output lug it looks like you've bent the lug and are possibly making a connection you don't intend to.

4. It may not be an issue in the end or it might but one or two of your film caps has been over warmed. Might warrant replacing.

5. Do you have a pot cap on the middle pot? Or some protection to keep it from making contact to the solder joints on the other side?

This is my first pedal build, but not my first rodeo with soldering and electronics. I think I have it all right, but when I try to run the pedal, I get no output to the amp. I can hear a low clean signal, but the pots and switch do nothing but light up.

Looking again, it seems that I put a 3-way toggle on the PCB for the tone switch rather than a 2-way On-On. That's what I get for using mystery suppliers (it was sold as an On-On, but the switch itself says On-Off-One.

Would the switch be the issue here? I have a new 2-way On-On inbound, but I don't want to get my hopes up if that's not the issue. Thanks!
Likely another issue. An on/off/on and even an on/on/on will act just like an on/on switch at either extreme. The only difference would be the middle position- since this pedal doesn’t use the middle position, it should act correctly at the other 2, just not in the middle.

Echoing those before me
1. You'll need a new stomp unless you're pretty good at desoldering, but my experience has been that it's not worth it. Yours is rotated 90 degrees from where it should be.

2. The output jack looks as though you've mixed up the ground and signal lugs.

3. Also on the output lug it looks like you've bent the lug and are possibly making a connection you don't intend to.

4. It may not be an issue in the end or it might but one or two of your film caps has been over warmed. Might warrant replacing.

5. Do you have a pot cap on the middle pot? Or some protection to keep it from making contact to the solder joints on the other side?
Thanks everyone!

1. I'm pretty good at desoldering, so I may take a shot at it this weekend just to not have to wait another week for a new switch.
2. ARGH. I thought I had it wrong before and switched it. Will fix.
3. True, but only because it's an older recycled lug and needed a bit of help making a snug connection to the cable. No short when the cable's in.
4. Yes, thanks to some sloppy soldering.
5. I do! Good call.

Update:

Put a new foot switch in (the correct angle this time) and fixed the jacks so that both sleeves are going to the grounds on the bird and both tips are going to the switch. Still no output. Im not seeing anywhere a shirt could be happening. I’m getting an LED, but no signal (clean or wet) in any configuration of knobs and switches. Thoughts?

All the above suggestions are valid, especially Erik S above!
Remove yellow Tape and take a Picture!
Have you done a Voltage test on your soldered IC's?
Set DMM to DC Voltage, Black probe to Ground, Red probe to each pin & write down the Voltages matching the numbers below.

Op Amp Direction.jpg

I just noticed that the 2 resistors on the bottom left are 220 ohm, they are supposed to be 220k = Red Red Yellow Gold.
Here is a resistor Calculator to check the rest
Click on Bands for 5 colours:

Back