Ds2 mods

NickC

I have an old Boss DS2, I like the way it sounds but I would like to remove some of the fizzy, can you recommend some mods?

It's a pedal meant to be used on a not 100% clean amp. That's why it's fizzy.
Are you also using it with humbuckers?

That said, I guess I would start with a 4n7 or so cap in parallel to the clipping diodes D11 and D12. You can solder the cap on the back side of the board, so no component change is needed and if removed the pedal is just as new (just make sure you are soldering the cap terminals in the right place).
The cap in parallel to the diodes should make a -6dB/oct low pass filter with cutoff frequency of about 7kHz after the main clipping stage. To move the cutoff frequency, change the cap value (the bigger cap, the lower the filter frequency, the less highs you will have)
1709579990145.jpeg

Last edited:
I use it on a jcm900 with hotrails minibukers 👍 i will try this mod thank you
Hope it's useful. When I started I used a boss DS1 with an SG on a clean channel and I hated it. But later I tried a DS1 with a Strat on a warm marshallesque amp, and I could not believe it was the same pedal.

It's not just the way the pedal reacts to the types of pickup sounds, but also the way you equalize the amps for the clean tone, and the way that EQ interacts with the distortion tone from the pedal.

tried the cap modification, but it's too subtle, I think I'll try the wampler one or maybe part of it

MOD DETAILS:
R57 - change to 3k3
R44 and R62 - change to 1k
C28 - change to 10nf capacitor AND 1k resistor in parallel
D8 - change to 1N4001
D9 - change to 1N4001 AND 1N34A in series
D11 - change to an LED (3mm is easiest to fit)
D15 - change to an LED (3mm is easiest to fit)

Back