Duo Phase

Very nice and clean build !

I just bought the PCB for that one. As a newbie I'm scared just looking at the BOM!

But since I'm a big Zappa fan that bought a SG and built a Green Ringer to get those Roxy tones, I had to get Mu-Tron. :)

Yeah, first time playing with different coloured paints over the etching.
Did you a have a specific tutorial you learned this method from? I've seen several on YouTube but all using different methods and materials. I want to try this but haven't found a method that I'm confident in yet. Looks awesome by the way!

Mostly this site https://diy-guitar-effects.tumblr.com/etching

This was the first time I tried using pages ripped from a glossy magazine as my transfer paper and I love the way it came out. Also the first time trying an etch on some super cheap Daier enclosures, I’ll sand it to a finer polish before I etch next time but I’m pretty happy with it!

Something that site doesn’t mention is you need to use enamel clear coat with enamel paint. If you mix acrylic and enamel you’re gonna have a bad time.

Mostly this site https://diy-guitar-effects.tumblr.com/etching

This was the first time I tried using pages ripped from a glossy magazine as my transfer paper and I love the way it came out. Also the first time trying an etch on some super cheap Daier enclosures, I’ll sand it to a finer polish before I etch next time but I’m pretty happy with it!

Something that site doesn’t mention is you need to use enamel clear coat with enamel paint. If you mix acrylic and enamel you’re gonna have a bad time.
Awesome, thanks! I'll give this a try!

Ha ha ha ha. That is one awesome build! Which LDRs did you use? What process did you use to set the trimmers? What's with the mix of opamps? I'm guessing you ran out of TL072s.

Just FYI to anyone who is interested in why yellow LEDs are recommended, Cadmium Sulfide LDRs are most sensitive (by a long shot) to light between 500 and 600nm. Yellow LEDs peak out at 570nm and green around 525nm.

I have the board and am collecting the parts. I've got some mods in mind, of course. One side is gonna be tuned like a Uni-Vibe, only with six stages instead of four and a switch to take out the two extra stages. Also thinking about a Blend knob, a Throb knob à la The Abyss, a triangle-to-sine converter for one of the LFOs, throbbing LEDs, putting one or two of the trimpots on the front panel... Definitely some experimentation is gonna happen!

I’m 99% sure I used the Tayda KE-1270 or whatever part number it is...I used white cuz I ran out of yellow, might change it up now that I’m replenished and know it all functions well. Ran out of 072s yeah, some 4558s filled the gaps. Set the trimmers by ear at high volume, which is tedious but worthwhile...though when I change to yellow I’ll have to do it again hahaha. I’d be very interested in the univibe mod, I’ve got an unboxed Phase II board I could play around with!

The Uni-Vibe mod is all about the capacitors in the phase-shift stages.
While the order should not matter, I'm sticking with the Uni-Vibe sequence:
C10 = 15nF
C9 = 220nF
C8 = 470pF
C7 = 4.7nF
and then filling in the "gaps" in the capacitor sequence:
C6 = 47nF
C11 = 1.5nF

TR2 is equivalent to the VOICE knob on the Abyss. TR1 is equivalent to the MANUAL knob on some flangers. DEPTH, TR1 & TR2 all interact.

White LEDs are actually 3 or 4 LEDs in one: red, green, blue and maybe yellow. If you have a prism, then you can easily find out if the white LEDs in your Duo Phase emit any light in a yellow band. The green emissions are probably strong enough for your pedal. If you can get the sweep range you're after with the trimmers, then changing out the white LEDs is not necessary. Oddly enough, my Shaky Jimi Uni-Vibe clone uses red LEDs to illuminate the CdS cells. Go figure.

Sick job.

Clean as a whistle, and I love the graphics.

I also love that you're using the same knobs I got with a potentiometer kit I picked up on Amazon. Those knobs have fit with a lot of designs and layouts.

Back