Duocast vol pot values

deft

Came across this video the other day, a great teardown of the Hudson Broadcast Dual:

At 6:45 it shows the 2x volume pots as 250KA, these are 25KB on the Duocast build doc which is what I built mine with.

Would 250k lower the output volume? Not a big deal but I have noticed that my Duocast is ridiculously loud and even at 9 o'clock this is enough for a big ol' boost.

Don't know about the pot-swap, but my duocast is the same - unity volume is below 9 o'clock.

The volume controls are wired as voltage dividers so the overall available volume between a 25K and a 250K pot shouldn’t change notably (the overall frequency response of the circuit may or may not change notably), but going with an audio-taper pot instead of a linear-taper pot should put unity volume a bit higher up on the dial.

In a thread on the Sidecar circuit, there was some discussion about changes in pot values over different revisions (the treble control has been both 5K and 25K in different versions without much change) and Hudson may be doing a bit of “here’s what I have on hand” when building (or he may at some point have decided he liked the sound of one value over the other but it’s not a big enough change to bother changing the ad copy)

I've been wondering about this. I have been using an A25K volume pot and unity is below 9.00 on any that I have built. Makes it quite touchy to set volume!

Back