Electronics and eyesight

The Magnifying Glass/Lamp combo looks ideal for actively soldering. Good luck.

My lamp-magnifier is annoyingly just a little out of focus at comfortable soldering range, so I have to put the magnifier closer to the work area than I like and kind of bring the solder-pencil in from the side at an angle (vertical is impossible) — it's almost the right distance, but not quite.

So, for those who are shopping for a combo lamp-magnifier, just note that you should try before you buy (if possible) because
not all lamp-magnifiers are created equal,
some are better suited to our particular needs than, say, someone just wanting to read a book in bed.

Nearsighted means short sighted, which means you lose focus with distance. I am nearsighted, I can see things well up close, even now that I am old, but things start getting blurry once they're more than about a foot/30 cm from my face. Less than that, probably.

Farsighted means you lose focus when things are close to your eyes. That's what happens with age, unless you're as nearsighted as me.

Anyway, I wear glasses to see things that are not close and I remove my glasses to read and to do any close-up work such as electronics. However, I always wear safety goggles when soldering because I really do not want to flick hot solder into my eyes. Not even a tiny little bit.

I just wear the cheap ones from the hardware store, but I believe there are magnifying ones which would be a good idea even for me, if they do what they're supposed to do.

Back