Electrovibe (Big Monk)

Thanks!
Checked it before and wasn't updated yet.
So If I got it right you kept the parallel resistor at 10k and you decreased the series resistor to 6.2K. Correct?

Yup. Here is the problem: The Rate LED is naturally, by nature of how it's connected, not going to be as bright, ever, as the normal LEDs. Dropping the series resistor too low makes the pulses less robust and distinct and maximum brightness is very low to begin with. I played around with a number of values and found 6.2k to be the brightest and have the most distinct pulses.

I then went back and changed the LEDR values for my main LEDs. The bi-color is fine but if I were to go back in, I'd change the bypass LED to something even higher.

A good thing to do might be to tack in the Rate LED first, with the circuit operational and leave the speed and bypass LEDs until last. Take a breadboard and set up all three in a row and tweak the LEDR values until they match to your desired output.

Yup. Here is the problem: The Rate LED is naturally, by nature of how it's connected, not going to be as bright, ever, as the normal LEDs. Dropping the series resistor too low makes the pulses less robust and distinct and maximum brightness is very low to begin with. I played around with a number of values and found 6.2k to be the brightest and have the most distinct pulses.

I then went back and changed the LEDR values for my main LEDs. The bi-color is fine but if I were to go back in, I'd change the bypass LED to something even higher.

A good thing to do might be to tack in the Rate LED first, with the circuit operational and leave the speed and bypass LEDs until last. Take a breadboard and set up all three in a row and tweak the LEDR values until they match to your desired output.

Thanks a lot!

I just finished tweaking my Electrovibe trimmers. I’m going to put a video up later in the hopes I can get some constructive criticism from the forum on how it sounds.

It would be great to get comments about whether gain and/or offset need to be adjusted up/down, etc.

Ok Gents.

Don’t hold back. Give me an honest critique. I noticed it gets a bit “wompy” above 50%.

It sounds a bit choppy with the intensity up. I remember getting similar sounds when adjusting the trimmers in my Photon Vibe then settling on a mellower transition. Maybe you can reduce the variation in the lamp's intensity? Like in this video by a well-known member here, sorry I don't remember his name.

I djust don’t have much time to adjust tonight between the kids showers but here were my observations:

1.) Following the Madbean instructions, I get very wompy and choppy vibes when the intensity is up, but great moderate intensity vibes.

2.) Using Dan’s video, I get excellent full intensity vibes but weak low/medium intensity vibes.

How is the range on everyone’s units? I may just need to tweak some more and more intently than the couple of minutes I’ve had over the last few days.

So, In the end, this turns out to be a matter of taste and intensity. I have it set the way it sounds best to me.

In the hopes that this will help someone else, I'll document what I've found:

1.) Dan's (@jjjimi84) Method - The 50%-100% Intensity tones were excellent but less than 50% the "swirl", "throb", what have you, were not as strong. This is not a huge deal as, realistically at least, I think you can only expect to get about 2/3 range of good Intensity tones with any method.

Pros - Dan's method is by far the most intuitive and easy to setup.
Cons - To my ear, Intensity less than 50% was a bit weak.

2.) Forum Vibe Method ( ) - This method moved the usable range down a little more than Dan's but overall lacked the definition of the best tones from Dan's Method. < 50% vibes tone were improved but the "swirl" and "throb" were less intense.

Pros - This method extended the useable range of the Intensity knob.
Cons - "Swirl" and "Throb" were not as intense.

3.) Madbean Harbinger Method - This proved, to me at least, to be the most versatile when used in the Electrovibe. High Intensity tones were a bit wompy with the Speed controls low so to compensate I increased speed for when Intensity is> 75%. The lower Intensity tones are the best I could muster and really reminiscent of the tones I had in my head.

Pros - This method gave the lushest, most vintage, "swirliest" and "throbiest" tones on the lower range of the Intensity knob.
Cons - Higher Intensity settings are wompy and require the use of higher speeds to be usable.

So, In the end, this turns out to be a matter of taste and intensity. I have it set the way it sounds best to me.

In the hopes that this will help someone else, I'll document what I've found:

1.) Dan's (@jjjimi84) Method - The 50%-100% Intensity tones were excellent but less than 50% the "swirl", "throb", what have you, were not as strong. This is not a huge deal as, realistically at least, I think you can only expect to get about 2/3 range of good Intensity tones with any method.

Pros - Dan's method is by far the most intuitive and easy to setup.
Cons - To my ear, Intensity less than 50% was a bit weak.

2.) Forum Vibe Method ( ) - This method moved the usable range down a little more than Dan's but overall lacked the definition of the best tones from Dan's Method. < 50% vibes tone were improved but the "swirl" and "throb" were less intense.

Pros - This method extended the useable range of the Intensity knob.
Cons - "Swirl" and "Throb" were not as intense.

3.) Madbean Harbinger Method - This proved, to me at least, to be the most versatile when used in the Electrovibe. High Intensity tones were a bit wompy with the Speed controls low so to compensate I increased speed for when Intensity is> 75%. The lower Intensity tones are the best I could muster and really reminiscent of the tones I had in my head.

Pros - This method gave the lushest, most vintage, "swirliest" and "throbiest" tones on the lower range of the Intensity knob.
Cons - Higher Intensity settings are wompy and require the use of higher speeds to be usable.
Dude I cant even believe I am being mentioned in a post with these legends! Woot Woot. Hopefully this entire thread has helped everyone and certainly thank @Big Monk for taking us along for the ride

Dude I cant even believe I am being mentioned in a post with these legends! Woot Woot. Hopefully this entire thread has helped everyone and certainly thank @Big Monk for taking us along for the ride

You deserve it! Your method is the easiest and most intuitive.

I'll put a video up later showing my final settings.

The Electrovibe is really growing on me. I’m still doing some pretty intense comparisons between the Good Vibes and the ElectroVibe, as I’m only going to have room for one once I get my Hydra started.

I’m going to tweak both a little more over the next few weeks and once the FV-1 chips are back in stock, I’ll put the one I’m not keeping up for sale.

For those who have built the Electrovibe, have you also experienced this?
I just finished building this. I get different speed ranges with the 2 speed settings. In my case, they both seem to get to the same speed, but the slow speed is different for them. Different range for sure. I have another issue, but will post in a new thread.

In order to eliminate the possibility I messed up the pots, I ordered 10 more from Tayda. I’ll remove the ones currently installed when they get here and measure them, then measure and match a set to reinstall.

I can’t think of anything else it might be.

Here are two bits of good news for those building or planning to build this:

1.) I subbed the 47k R4 for 100k and it is perceptibly, but barely, just below unity. It is very close. When I swap the pots out, I think I’ll sub in a 220k.

100k is a great starting point and provides a pretty much unity volume level.

What was the issue here? I have noticed that in chorus mode, I still have a significant volume drop even when the volume is maxed out. Is this the issue you were having?

I also notice that in Vibrato mode, the volume is significantly louder.

So, as if we didn’t already have enough Electrovibe threads, I thought I’d document mine here.

View attachment 16339
View attachment 16340
View attachment 16341

I used the Tayda drilling service and Dark Matte Gray Enclosure. I did have to widen out some holes but that was by design. I was not sure the exact dimensions of the parts I was going to use so I was conservative and left the DC jack, Output jack and LED Bezel holes a touch smaller.

I’ll be start the board sometime this weekend. When I have a few minutes today, I’ll lay out the few places I plan to deviate from the standard design.
I like your idea of using a couple nuts on the outside of your dc jack to push it out a little when you need more room. Not sure why, but I just don’t like the smaller dc jacks and on a couple builds I’ve had to get clever fitting the jack in (Low Tide is a perfect example). Yours looks great!

I'm telling you I like the Electrovibe better than the Good Vibes. Something about it sounds a little more 'organic' either solo or with all of the other layered effects. It's like it's not trying as hard to be what it is. Where the Good Vibes feels like it's trying :p To me they sound different enough that you could use them for totally different kinds of songs.They are different pedals, different circuits, different components so duh Zach :)

Nice job! So sounds like making the gain and bias external controls is worth it if you like to dial in the effects going from one to the other?

I'm telling you I like the Electrovibe better than the Good Vibes. Something about it sounds a little more 'organic' either solo or with all of the other layered effects. It's like it's not trying as hard to be what it is. Where the Good Vibes feels like it's trying :p To me they sound different enough that you could use them for totally different kinds of songs.They are different pedals, different circuits, different components so duh Zach :)

The Good Vibes was way more versatile but also more phasery. It just couldn’t do the classic vibe sound fully.

I am looking for another Good Vibes on the cheap though. I miss it.

Back