ElectroVibe Modifications Thread

For the trim pot to set the wet/dry signal levels for better phasing, I am going to omit R16 and R17 and put a 200K trim pot in the board, each outside leg on the non-common side with the middle pin going to the common side.

For the trim pot to set the wet/dry signal levels for better phasing, I am going to omit R16 and R17 and put a 200K trim pot in the board, each outside leg on the non-common side with the middle pin going to the common side.

The whole point of the fixed resistors and smaller trimpot is for better control of the balance.

The whole point of the fixed resistors and smaller trimpot is for better control of the balance.
Understood. Are you suggesting there is not enough control for the 200K trim? Not as fine detail as the 50K trimmer, but I suspect it will be fine for dialing in the balance. Much cleaner install on the board.

Understood. Are you suggesting there is not enough control for the 200K trim? Not as fine detail as the 50K trimmer, but I suspect it will be fine for dialing in the balance. Much cleaner install on the board.

Yes. If you were trying to hit the broadside of a barn I’d say use 200k and no fixed resistors but you are targeting complete cancellation which means the right balance. A tight balance at that.

Definitely do what you want but I think the mod is better served with fixed resistors and a smaller trimmer.

Keep in mind that other combos would work as well: 91k resistors and 10k trimmer, 82k resistors and 20k trimmer, etc.

As an anecdote: I had a 500 ohm trimmer on the power rail of my Protoboard for fine adjustment of voltage and it was a nightmare. Couldn’t hit consistent target voltages for shit because of how large (relatively) it was compare to the normal < 100 ohm series limiters on power in.

Anecdote of an anecdote: There are at least 3 threads I found in my Vibe research from DIYSB and everyone who tried what you are going to was less than pleased with the control they had over the mix.

Yes. If you were trying to hit the broadside of a barn I’d say use 200k and no fixed resistors but you are targeting complete cancellation which means the right balance. A tight balance at that.

Definitely do what you want but I think the mod is better served with fixed resistors and a smaller trimmer.

Keep in mind that other combos would work as well: 91k resistors and 10k trimmer, 82k resistors and 20k trimmer, etc.

As an anecdote: I had a 500 ohm trimmer on the power rail of my Protoboard for fine adjustment of voltage and it was a nightmare. Couldn’t hit consistent target voltages for shit because of how large (relatively) it was compare to the normal < 100 ohm series limiters on power in.

Anecdote of an anecdote: There are at least 3 threads I found in my Vibe research from DIYSB and everyone who tried what you are going to was less than pleased with the control they had over the mix.
Thanks. I will see how it works out. Easy to see that there is much more control with the other combo, and I may switch to that after I give it a go. BTW --- did you sub the 10U caps for the 1U in your build? And do you think you can hear a difference with them?

Thanks for all the work you put into researching, testing, and laying out the mods so clearly on the documents. Those were big factors in deciding to go ahead an put together the electrovibe board.

Thanks. I will see how it works out. Easy to see that there is much more control with the other combo, and I may switch to that after I give it a go. BTW --- did you sub the 10U caps for the 1U in your build? And do you think you can hear a difference with them?

Thanks for all the work you put into researching, testing, and laying out the mods so clearly on the documents. Those were big factors in deciding to go ahead an put together the electrovibe board.

My ElectroVibe does not have the 10 uF caps.

I’m working in a board design now so that I can experiment.

Honestly, just use the fixed resistors and smaller trim. You are not doing yourself any favors with the 200k trim by itself.

@Big Monk -- looking at your diagrams, did you think about turning the bicolor LED into the blinking rate light as well? Looks like you could power the bicolor LED from the C14 point and have serial resistors on each of the separately switched ground wires. I may give that a try.

@Big Monk -- looking at your diagrams, did you think about turning the bicolor LED into the blinking rate light as well? Looks like you could power the bicolor LED from the C14 point and have serial resistors on each of the separately switched ground wires. I may give that a try.

My rate LED is separate.

The design I’m working on now ditches the Bi-color altogether for separate diffused Speed indicators.

Update on the trim pot for balancing wet and dry signals. Using the 200K trimmer works OK for dialing in a better sound when you are adjusting the setting, and I did not get the feeling that it was hard to hit the sweet spot. I am curious to see how much better it would be to get more detail in the trimmer, so I am going to mod a madbean Harbinger pedal I built a few years ago and try the 82K/50K trimmer combination.

For the Electrovibe build I skipped putting in the bi-color or rate LEDs for now since I just wanted to try check out the sounds. I subbed the 10K caps for the 1K (except for the last one in the chain, deferring to RGK). Happy with the sound but can only compare it to the Harbinger, which I also like.

thank you everyone that helped with mods to this Electrovibe circuit , i was having low volume on my chorus and my sweep didnt have that nice wobble i was wanting, (it was a nice sweep just more like a even sounding phaser sweep) after changing out a bunch of the 1uf electrolytic for 10UF electrolytic ,changing R4 to 2m2 , the R16/17 mod with a pot my Univibe now has the wobble and volume i was hoping it would have . thank you to everyone involved with this build. i still have a stalling problem with my lfo, if i slow it down to much ,i noticed my lfo does not get very fast even at max ill have to try the speed mod next

Back