Electrovibe - No Vibe

PangeaDestructor

Hey All, finally got my Electrovibe all populated, may have boxed it too soon. Pardon the flux, I'm having a hell of a time getting it all off of this one for some reason, i've washed, scrubbed and dabbed enough times that the ISO appears to have pulled some red coloring off of the chorus/vibrato switch.

The bulb flashes and adjusts with the trimmers exactly as I've had them do on previous vibe builds. I used the pedalpcb pot insulators for the speed pots. The enclosure holes for these two controls were off by the tiniest bit, causing them to lean back a bit and pull back on the lower row of pins. However, I made sure with a mini screwdriver that they were making good contact with the pads before soldering over them. In the attached pic, they look thirsty because I wicked up some of the solder to double check again that those were making contact, planning to reflow them when I get a better idea of what's wrong. It's possible there's some kind of short underneath, but i doubt it would be affecting both speed controls the same way if that were it. After this pic i adjusted the left pot, lower row right side pin with fresh solder so that it was touching and no change.

I get bypass, LEDs, etc but when I engage this effect the only thing I get is a volume drop and a slight tone shift. The volume control does work, but I have to keep it maxed to hear anything. Speed footswitch does nothing other than turn the indicator on and off, the chorus/vibrato switch only adds a little volume back when switched to chorus. I'm going to replace the stock R4 with a 2.2m as I've seen in other threads here for the volume drop. If nothing jumps out from the pic below regarding the lack of vibrato, i'll update when I have a chance to inspect and take pics of the underside.

IMG_0454.jpg

it looks like you have something going on with R35 and R19. It might be just a reflection of flux but it sort of looks like a whole lot of solder that could cause issues. Also have you checked the continuity is correct on the footswitches ruling out a bridge under those breakout boards?

it looks like you have something going on with R35 and R19. It might be just a reflection of flux but it sort of looks like a whole lot of solder that could cause issues. Also have you checked the continuity is correct on the footswitches ruling out a bridge under those breakout boards?
i think R35 and 19 are just flux residue in the pics, just scrubbed it off there again and it's clear. i'll check the continuity on the switches later today, good idea thanks.

I’ve tried r4 at 2m and no change.

This suggests a different issue somewhere in the circuit.

I asked where you go your parts thinking maybe we both got bad parts somewhere or maybe even a bad batch of boards.

While this does occasionally happen, it's typically very isolated and rare.

I've said a number of times, and I don't for a single second mean to be any other than helpful when I say this, that the Electrovibe is NOT the easiest project. It's a high parts count which always increases the possibility of cold joints, etc. I'm a fairly experienced hobbyist and my first Electrovibe had issues upon startup.

@PangeaDestructor A little note on cleaning flux: I typically fully populate the board then take my smallest flathead mini screwdriver and scrape, very gently, all the dried flux off the board. I never submerge the whole board in alcohol. The scraping removes about 90% of the caked on flux and then I do 2-3 scrubs with an alcohol soaked toothbrush, with wiping after each application and a cleaning of the brush head.

I feel for you and @Tpruitt as I have been there before as well with this project. Not this issue in particular but the large scope and quantity of components throwing me for a loop and hindering troubleshooting.

My opinion and advice? Break the pedal back down to the board. Remove it from the enclosure, remove the jacks and switches, etc. Inspect the board, clean it, and make sure you are 100% confident in the build quality and solder joints. DO NOT try and make changes, fix things, etc. with everything hooked up. Not having a clear path to the underside of the board, i.e. working on it boxed up is a sure fire way to rush, fry, something, etc. out of frustration.

This suggests a different issue somewhere in the circuit.

While this does occasionally happen, it's typically very isolated and rare.

I've said a number of times, and I don't for a single second mean to be any other than helpful when I say this, that the Electrovibe is NOT the easiest project. It's a high parts count which always increases the possibility of cold joints, etc. I'm a fairly experienced hobbyist and my first Electrovibe had issues upon startup.

@PangeaDestructor A little note on cleaning flux: I typically fully populate the board then take my smallest flathead mini screwdriver and scrape, very gently, all the dried flux off the board. I never submerge the whole board in alcohol. The scraping removes about 90% of the caked on flux and then I do 2-3 scrubs with an alcohol soaked toothbrush, with wiping after each application and a cleaning of the brush head.

I feel for you and @Tpruitt as I have been there before as well with this project. Not this issue in particular but the large scope and quantity of components throwing me for a loop and hindering troubleshooting.

My opinion and advice? Break the pedal back down to the board. Remove it from the enclosure, remove the jacks and switches, etc. Inspect the board, clean it, and make sure you are 100% confident in the build quality and solder joints. DO NOT try and make changes, fix things, etc. with everything hooked up. Not having a clear path to the underside of the board, i.e. working on it boxed up is a sure fire way to rush, fry, something, etc. out of frustration.
I used to do the screwdriver method but went too hard once and exposed a trace, a q-tip dipped in ISO and squeezed almost dry is making pretty quick work of the top of this board's nooks and crannies, though.

Quick question - I'm not seeing the actual breakout boards or 3pdt wiring in the schematic/build doc, but on the speed footswitch I am getting continuity across the 2nd and 3rd pins from the right when looking at it in the pic i posted. Is that normal or a potential cause here? I think I'm seeing a solder blob under there that could be shorting across those.

Has this ever been resolved?? I have a very similar issue I have been battling with for days.
Hey, yes I got mine fully operational, I had a few issues but the main one was a solder bridge under the speed breakout board. Did you use pin headers to attach that? I removed the speed footswitch, re-did the pin headers and cleaned everything up, and it was good to go. That wasn't my only issue, but it was the final one.

Ok thank you good
Hey, yes I got mine fully operational, I had a few issues but the main one was a solder bridge under the speed breakout board. Did you use pin headers to attach that? I removed the speed footswitch, re-did the pin headers and cleaned everything up, and it was good to go. That wasn't my only issue, but it was the final one.
To know.

Back