EOL parts thread

jwin615

Edit-incorrect on some of these. Search settings maybe off on mobile? Will add corrections.
--
Figured a community thread to notify others of parts going EOL would be good.
A quick glance at digikey yields:
DIP8
OP07-incorrect
TLC271 -EOL 7k stock
TLC071 -EOL 92k stock
OPA227P/A - all EOL, 2277 still active. Little stock remaining on 227
OPA2132PA - EOL 23k stock
OPA2244 - EOL 934 stocked
OPA2134 - EOL
TL074 - down to 3 active skus
TL054 - all digikey parts EOL
TL034 - all marked EOL or nonstock
NE5532 - 2 of 9 active, only 1 stocked
LM358- messed this one up, 3 of 9 skus stocked

These were all still in stock. No, some may just be a particular suffix or manufacturer.
TI is discontinuing a lot of OPAs. 7 of the 11 results for tl074 dips are EOL or obsolete. The OP07 seems to be limited to the TI DP package. 2 of the 8 results.

For anyone wanting to look, at digikey I filtered to exclude marketplace and as in stock.
Then, under product status "obsolete" and "last time buy"

Last edited:
OP07 - 12 through-hole packages still listed as active
OPA2134 - 1 through-hole package still listed as active
TL074 - 3 through-hole packages still listed as active
NE5532 - 2 through-hole packages still listed as active
LM358 - 8 through-hole packages still listed as active

The parts people are used to buying of these models are the ones that are still active. Just because some packages of a model are approaching EOL does not mean a through-hole apocalypse is coming. Please be careful with the way you're presenting this information.

Just because some packages of a model are approaching EOL does not mean a through-hole apocalypse is coming. Please be careful with the way you're presenting this information.
Thanks for this. There are certainly parts we use that are truly being deprecated (low-profile electrolytic caps seem to be particularly affected), but (through-hole) semis routinely have models introduced/discontinued while the part number remains in production.

I'm a little disturbed by all this stuff. What happens to this hobby when everything is surface mount?
We adapt one way or another, of course. I'm 70 years old and ported to partly/mostly SMD builds about 6 years ago. By now I greatly prefer building that way and just wish really good SMD film caps rated at 25v or better that can be reliably hand soldered would hurry up and arrive.

OP07 - 12 through-hole packages still listed as active
OPA2134 - 1 through-hole package still listed as active
TL074 - 3 through-hole packages still listed as active
NE5532 - 2 through-hole packages still listed as active
LM358 - 8 through-hole packages still listed as active

The parts people are used to buying of these models are the ones that are still active. Just because some packages of a model are approaching EOL does not mean a through-hole apocalypse is coming. Please be careful with the way you're presenting this information.
Again, at a quick glance.
2134 is EOL on digi. 3 active, 2 marked EOL. The other is marketplace, which I don't count. All 0 inventory.
Wasn't trying to mislead or misrepresent, more so just trying to inform and converse. It seems, IMO ,that the COVID chip fammin has encouraged makers to step away from some legacy stuff.
Not sure how I muffed the OP07 listings. I should've done this a desktop with more time. I'll try and review later today and correct. Just got curious when seeing another EOL email this morning.

Thanks for this. There are certainly parts we use that are truly being deprecated (low-profile electrolytic caps seem to be particularly affected), but (through-hole) semis routinely have models introduced/discontinued while the part number remains in production.

There are also non-original producers of industry standard ICs. Just as a quick example, J/NRC, HGSemi, UTC, and STM all produce TL072s. Obviously it is still good to be keeping an eye on EOL stuff

Does anyone have a convenient way to breadboard with these smd parts or is it just a case of using an adapter board pcb to mount them on a breadboard?

Does anyone have a convenient way to breadboard with these smd parts or is it just a case of using an adapter board pcb to mount them on a breadboard?
That's unfortunately a tough one, all the SMD prototyping solutions I'm aware of either involve adapters or are fairly permanent.

EDIT: Not entirely true. ZIF sockets are a thing for SMD ICs.

That's unfortunately a tough one, all the SMD prototyping solutions I'm aware of either involve adapters or are fairly permanent.

EDIT: Not entirely true. ZIF sockets are a thing for SMD ICs.

There are also smd sockets that are usually used for programming smd ICs that can be used to breadboard many semiconductor packages, including JFET favorite SOT-23. The sot-23 sockets I’ve seen are are 6 pin (technically for the sot-23-6 package) but you can just ignore the unused pins.

Edit: there are also tiny programming leads that can attach to SMD packages

Back