Favorite Big muff variant?

My favorite commercial ones are the Triangle and the Cornish P-2... though I'm working on my own with a 3-band eq, etc.

I have one on the breadboard right now with red LEDs for clipping and a FMV tone stack. It sounds pretty damned good. I've been playing around with bright caps on the sustain pot. I can't remember what's on there right now, I think a 470pf or a 1nf.

That Bayonet Fuzz looks rad- just put one in the cart. I like the Gilmour 73 and the NYC. I have a sound in mind for one for bass, and I need to explore some more. It’s probably already out there somewhere.

my-wife-meet-my-wife.gif

I like the Triangle, but I haven't built a lot of muffs to compare to--I like it enough that I don't see the point in more. Mine has mid knob mod, so you can unscoop it, and gives a bit more versatility .

I've built Aion's Zelus Fuzz, similar to the Bayonet, Blackout Effectors's version.

It doesn't sound bad, but I find the controls very tidious to find a good setting. Tone control interacts with the Mids control in a "bad" way : Tone won't impact the sound very much, as long as Mids isn't set at high value.

Pre-boost and Sustain aren't easy to combine either, and they aren't very interesting or effective through their whole rotation in my experience : at low settings they're useless.

Focus allows to choose between more bass or more treble in an interesting way. Probably the easiest control to use. But it's weak : on bass, you can't really have a bass boost this way, you need to turn up the bass on the amp's EQ. It feels more like a powerful Treble cut.

Once I've spent some time turning knobs, it's able to produce a warm rounded up and colored sound, with a mid emphasis.

It's a good circuit, but compared to the Ram's Head or the Op-amp... I was disappointed. It feels like a bland muff version, with a mid control to give it some more taste.

My first stompbox was the Metal Muff. I don't use it a lot, but I find it much easier to shape the tone with its EQ controls. At least you don't need to crank up Mids or Tone to get something from the other controls.

Metal Muff is sharper, colder and more "aggressive" than the other versions. Reminds me of some Mesa triple rectifiers emulation from Wampler. There's a sparkling coldness, like in PPCB Pathogen.
You can find some kinds of Rat tones when you tweak the EQ.

I find the Op-amp, the Ram's Head and even the Blackout effectors versions easier to incorporate in various styles of music than the Metal Muff.

Last edited:
I find the Op-amp, the Ram's Head and even the Blackout effectors versions easier to incorporate in various styles of music than the Metal Muff.
May be because the metal muff is just a metal zone with fixed mids.
Nothing muff about it past the white paint on the box.

Back