Favourite wire?

I figured as much, I seem to have picked the "ludicrous amounts of flux" option and naturally ordered 3 spools of it.
I sent @thewintersoldier my no-clean. He probably had better luck than I did with it since he's more experienced. I switched to Kester 44. The flux is more under control but most importantly is easier to clean. With the no-clean the board would look clean but still feel sticky.

I still have at least a good half spool of my "ludicrous flux" solder, but I just ordered a spool with a different kind of flux, going to try it out.

Reactions: fig
I mean, 8' of each color might seem like a lot, but I use white for IN/OUT (most of the time) so, you don't get many builds from an 8' spool.

For me...

I'm not a fan of PVC insulation. One glancing blow from a soldering iron and it's all over.

In a guitar, cloth pushback all the way. Pro tip: I have some little baggies of beeswax pellets...I take a couple of those, roll em onto the cloth at the cut where it starts to fray, and hit it with the heat gun. Keeps everything under control.

Pedals & cloth wire: man, you'd better be doing point to point or tagboard builds, else you're making life hard for like...no reason.

I like using silicone or PTFE for pedals. Silicone is great, super heat resistant, extremely flexible, easy to strip, but the colors are admittedly garbage. It's certainly got a look that I'm not crazy about.

PTFE (Teflon) is much less flexible, but it's similarly heat resistant and looks much more traditional.

Haven't found anything that really checks all my boxes, truth told.

The MG Chemical solder I use flux comes right off with IPA or Electronic cleaner
If you think about it next time your at the bench, would you let me know the stock # on what you're using? I'd like to give it a go. The Kester 44 is good stuff and I have no complaints beyond the excessive flux, but a bit of heavy-metal cork-sniffing might prove beneficial.
Thank you sir!

If you think about it next time your at the bench, would you let me know the stock # on what you're using? I'd like to give it a go. The Kester 44 is good stuff and I have no complaints beyond the excessive flux, but a bit of heavy-metal cork-sniffing might prove beneficial.
Thank you sir!
Cat. No 4865-227G SN63/Pb37, .032 and 2.2% Flux (no clean)

I typically spray then brush then spray let it dry then repeat if still sticky

• Love
Reactions: fig
Back