finding FV-1 chip?

T5uAHTz.jpg

Are you gonna bread board an FV-1 @fig ?
I am indeed. In fact it will be the first to grace my new @PedalPCB Protoboard . I think the mini might have been a bit crowded with that chip pinout hogging about half of it, so a few extra hectares are helpful.

Since I started building pedals and learning [a thimble for many - a bucket to me] about electronics, I've tried to avoid allowing myself to become complacent and so I continue to challenge myself, while taking enough time to actually learn something new with each build or project. I'm as thrilled about a negative result as I am the expected one because it is just another opportunity to learn. I call it a "pop quiz" when things go south. Granted, the possibility of destroying a hard to get chip adds an extra drawstring to the sphincter, but that's not nearly enough to stop me! 😁 (perhaps I could rephrase that?)

So yeah...I'm gonna bread board the hell out of it! The printed pcb is nearly painstakingly populated with the properly positioned pretties, save one, which should be arriving whenever it does (as it goes these days).

I am indeed. In fact it will be the first to grace my new @PedalPCB Protoboard . I think the mini might have been a bit crowded with that chip pinout hogging about half of it, so a few extra hectares are helpful.

Since I started building pedals and learning [a thimble for many - a bucket to me] about electronics, I've tried to avoid allowing myself to become complacent and so I continue to challenge myself, while taking enough time to actually learn something new with each build or project. I'm as thrilled about a negative result as I am the expected one because it is just another opportunity to learn. I call it a "pop quiz" when things go south. Granted, the possibility of destroying a hard to get chip adds an extra drawstring to the sphincter, but that's not nearly enough to stop me! 😁 (perhaps I could rephrase that?)

So yeah...I'm gonna bread board the hell out of it! The printed pcb is nearly painstakingly populated with the properly positioned pretties, save one, which should be arriving whenever it does (as it goes these days).
I’m excited to see this 😁

Reactions: fig
Not strictly FV-1 related, but since they are all gone now :( you might want to tinker with the FXCore chip which is really the next gen of FV-1. Like the FV-1 it has 16 built-in effects and is programmable for your own. A downside is that FXCore is all digital, you need external DACs to get analog in/out. On the upside, it has FLASH memory built in, so no external chip needed for storing custom programs. It also has 6 pot and 5 switch inputs, plus tap tempo input. Definitely more complex than the FV-1, but lots of power there too.

Not strictly FV-1 related, but since they are all gone now :( you might want to tinker with the FXCore chip which is really the next gen of FV-1. Like the FV-1 it has 16 built-in effects and is programmable for your own. A downside is that FXCore is all digital, you need external DACs to get analog in/out. On the upside, it has FLASH memory built in, so no external chip needed for storing custom programs. It also has 6 pot and 5 switch inputs, plus tap tempo input. Definitely more complex than the FV-1, but lots of power there too.
Just don't short pins 22 and 5. That would cause the thing to go rogue and enslave all of humanity. What a mess.

Any ideas on the difference in complexity for FXCore vs. SHARC?
The barrier to entry for FXCore seems a little steep for what it's capable of, like, external DACs, another dialect of assembly, limited resources & support. I'm wondering if it'd be worth investing extra effort for SHARC upfront?

The internal flash memory of the FXCore is a bit of an obstacle in terms of quick EEPROM swaps or pre-programmed/custom algorithms.

Either the FXCore IC has to be shipped pre-programmed (which means you can't just source them from any vendor), each PCB would need USB interface hardware built-in, or the end user will need a programming tool to get the firmware loaded themselves.

I got a development board for the FXCore shortly after they were released and I'm very impressed with the quality of the DSP, but the biggest barrier for me is laziness to learn the language. I've been holding out to see if Digital Larry does a version of SpinCAD to support FXCore :p

... when things go south. Granted, the possibility of destroying a hard to get chip adds an extra drawstring to the sphincter, but that's not nearly enough to stop me! 😁 (perhaps I could rephrase that?)
cover10.jpg

1) Most recent order I was thinking "Get the Hydra... but there's no FV-1 chips ... okay, so get the John E Octanaut"... ordered Octanaut.

2) PedalPCB announces fresh supply of FV-1 incoming...

Business as usual here at FFFX Fuppita Labs...

Back