Fox Drive - M800

BuddytheReow

Breadboard Baker
Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Edit: See post #3 for final build.

Here's a stock M800 OD build. This board was sitting on my bench for a while just staring at me for well over a year. I personally consider this a rite of passage board: it's pretty classic (though not as a much as a FF, TS, Muff, or Rat) and does capture the Marshall tone pretty well. I also view this as a rite of passage simply because you have to dial in the bias on all the JFETs. Most of them were pretty sensitive and went from, say, 3V to 8V almost instantly. The tone trimmer is just a high pass filter that's set internally. I maxed it out since I can tame it with the other controls.

One thing I will say about these controls. They're interactive and not independent. If you want independent look for a James or Baxandall stack with a separate gain stage for the Mid control if it's available. You'd think it would be annoying trying to get a good tone, but it's kind of fun. No problems with the build itself.

The enclosure is unfinished for now and knobs may be temporary, but she's in good working order. I'm tempted to use Marshall-based knobs from Tayda, but that will wait for my next order in a month or two.

1699912175472.png
1699912198270.png

Last edited:
Back