Mjolnir - Valhalla

BuddytheReow

Breadboard Baker
Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Here's the PPCB Valhalla, which is an AIB take on the Diezel VH4. The VH4 was one of the flagship amps of 90's metal for anyone who's interested. If you were to buy the amp today they run about $4500 and pedal version runs about $250. All parts included, this build was maybe $40 at most. I'd say this is a good deal.

How does it sound? Well, I've never actually played a VH4 or the "official" pedal, but this one sounds pretty gnarly! I would highly recommend for some good chugs. I'm sure you could find some decent demos of the pedal, but this one doesn't disappoint.

I've had a few hours with this circuit in an unfinished enclosure and tweaked the knobs to taste. I do have some issues with this circuit, but won't stop me from loving this one. First, the noise floor is very noticeable and can be tamed with a noise gate afterwards for the most part. My issue with gates is that it can sometimes suck out more than just the noise if you're trying to get rid of ALL the hiss. The good news is that there's no oscillation here, even without shielded cable. I may do just that if I feel up for it, but the wire lengths are pretty short in this build.

Secondly, the tone stack is a Marshall TMB and the MIDS control is much more subtle than I'd like it to be. It's just the nature of the circuit block. You can counter this with a tone shaper after the circuit.

Third, this pedal has a pretty dark tone unless the TREBLE and PRESENCE control are nearly dimed. Again, you can fix this with a tone shaper afterwards.

For the enclosure, I had this unfinished for a few weeks before the inspiration came to me along with a few google searches. Then I thought "What's the gnarliest thing I can think of that's related to Valhalla?" Why, the hammer of Thor, Mjolnir! I really like the black, white, and red color scheme here. I do wish my painting skills were a bit better considering I put at least an hour, if not, two into painting this. But, the more you do the better you get. That's what they call practice, right?

You want something gnarly? Build this.

1704805230300.png
1704805258604.png

For the enclosure, I had this unfinished for a few weeks before the inspiration came to me along with a few google searches. Then I thought "What's the gnarliest thing I can think of that's related to Valhalla?" Why, the hammer of Thor, Mjolnir! I really like the black, white, and red color scheme here. I do wish my painting skills were a bit better considering I put at least an hour, if not, two into painting this. But, the more you do the better you get. That's what they call practice, right?
Different Pedal, we live in different countries so I let you off! ;):
From 2019, this is gnarlier!:

Back