Fuzzy Fox

thesmokingman

Paid Hater
Decided to do this one with the last transistors and diodes from my bulk buy of green russian parts from the far reaches of eBay ... transistors are KT3102E (sits inbetween 3904 and 5088 gain-wise), clipping diodes are KD521A (slightly lower Vf than 1n400x diodes), octave diodes are matched BAT46 (better for octave than Ge) ... the rest is Ultimate Octave specs ... went with 15n for the tone cap for more mids as I never liked the other setting on the UO
I'll start with just the pcb and follow up with more when I finish the project
foxxy.jpg

btw ... I got it finished and didn't like it ... definitely use low Vf clipping diodes, I swapped in a pair of 1n270 for those russians because it just wasn't fuzzy enough ... I also lowered the tone cap from 15n to 10n which is just a personal taste item ... just wasn't digging it in general.

When I did mine I went with lower Vf diodes for the octave section as you mentioned and it came out really nice. I made sure those positions had a bit of that "reverse resistance" (i.e. low leakage) as well to get some of the benefit Schottky-types can provide there. I think your choice on the transistors makes sense--the original 2n3565 does seem to be kind of between a 2n3904 and 2n5088, at least based on the ones I've had. I didn't do any of those U.O. mods as I like the original tone quite a bit. Hope you get yours where you want it to be!

I think one or more of the transistors is suspect. It's been a minute since I've been down this road but the low gain is the giveaway. I can't cry, got a lot of miles out of the lot of transistors and diodes from the federation

Back