General Tso 3.0 (Thorpy Fat General)

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Well following my last build of one of these using VTL54C's instead of the prescribed LED/DR pair in the BOM I had planned to either update my original build to vactrols or build 3rd and retire the original one.

I had also mentioned that I wanted to have the two Tso's in my pedal chain with relay switching. The Tso is probably my favorite PedalPCB pedal that I've built to date. (and that's a lot!). I wanted to give them the royal treatment of relay switching.

And therein lies twisted and downward spiral of this build report.

First of all, since these are buffered bypass boards, the PPCB Simple Relay switch doesn't lend itself to have relay switching AND buffered bypass. Pretty easy if you want to convert it to true bypass with the Relay board.

So @Robert had to send me some wiring instructions and once I looked it over I was like "duh, that all makes sense, why didn't I think of that?" heh.

Anyway, armed with my new wiring scheme, I decided to build another Tso from scratch today. The build went as smooth as the last and and the VTL54C's nestled in there nicely in place of the LED/LDR.

I hooked up the Simple Relay board as per Roberts instructions, and I plugged it into my bench 9v supply to test the power.......
First the relay switching didn't work, and as I was looking around at what I might have done wrong, I saw a wisp of smoke come up from the relay board and a tell tale smell of an IC burning......ruh roh.

So I popped the board back out and looked at it closer, and could not find anything wrong with how I built it. The voltage regulator smelled like plastic toast. It's obviously fried. So back tracking from there, I figured it was a power problem. So I plugged the pedal back in, power at the jack was fine, power at the board was......-9.63v. Whaaaat? Checked the power at the jack again, it was find. My wires from the board to the jack were wired correctly.
Then it dawned on me, sigh......
In order to make it easier to wire the Relay board with it's dedicated 9v source, I used one of @Robert 's "DC Jack Breakout" boards.
I've used these many times and they are very handy when you need to provide 9v supply to two boards from one jack.
That is, when you don't pull a bonehead move like I did. Notice the little "plus" sign on the pads where it mounts to the jack?
Well I installed the board backwards and reversed the polarity on the board. Thus everything else the board was feeding was getting -9v.
DC-Splitter.jpg
Apparently the Simple Relay board doesn't like that, to the extent that it puked and fried. I'm not sure the extent of the damage to the board but I might try swapping out the voltage regulator and seeing if doesn't still work.

In the meantime, it was my last relay board until my next order shows up. So I went ahead and installed a regular 3PDT in it.

It sounds pretty much identical to the other two. I'm going retire my #1 Tso and at some point convert #2 and #3 to relay switching.

IMG_5742.JPG

IMG_5741.JPG

IMG_5743.JPG

That is, when you don't pull a bonehead move like I did. Notice the little "plus" sign on the pads where it mounts to the jack?
Well I installed the board backwards and reversed the polarity on the board. Thus everything else the board was feeding was getting -9v.

I do stuff like this all. the. time. Only a couple builds ago I swapped sleeve and tip on my I/O jacks, even after thinking through which is which. I guess the upside is, silly mistakes are (usually) easy to track down and fix, and troubleshooting practice is kind of like an investment or tuition (hopefully pays out in the future).

Great looking build as always!

The Tso is probably my favorite PedalPCB pedal that I've built to date. (and that's a lot!). I wanted to give them the royal treatment of relay switching.

That's quite the statement! I've got one in the queue, the PCB is populated, but I haven't boxed it yet.

I've got this PCB but haven't built it yet. I haven't decided if I'll wire it with the buffer or just do a true bypass.

What do you think of the buffer? (Maybe if it's always on for you you haven't got an opinion on it).

Have you ever posted a group photo of all your pedals? I'd love to see them.
That would require hours of staging to get a panoramic shot hahaha.......

Ok here's a couple of shots.

First, here's what's on my desktop at the moment. The tuner, compressors, boosts, overdrives, distortion and fuzzes, then chorus and flanger all feed the the little red buffered A/B box that either sends the signal then to my amp or to my Apollo for ampless playing,
The back row by the monitor are my delays (MBP Tourbus + Total Recall), Gravitation reverb all on the custom made buffered loop box.
IMG_5749.JPG

For my amp rig, in the effects loop of my amp. Delays and reverb (MPB Skoolie + MPB Skoolie), Seabed Delay w/Modulation, Aion Elysium, another Gravitation reverb.
IMG_5750.JPG

Then on top of my amps, a couple of utility pedals, Buffered ABY switch for my Frenzel input and a JFET buffered Dumble-Lator type pedal for my VHT D-Fifty's passive effects loop.
IMG_5751.JPG

Then the "pedals in storage".....sigh......it's definitely becoming a problem...... :ROFLMAO:

1590B's go on this old CD holder shelf with two sides that spins.
IMG_5745.JPG
IMG_5746.JPG

1590BB or larger, goes on a bookcase....not very elegantly......
IMG_5747.JPG

125B's go in the bottom drawer of a wooden file cabinet. Those pedals are 3 deep right now.....
IMG_5748.JPG

And there you have it......

I've got this PCB but haven't built it yet. I haven't decided if I'll wire it with the buffer or just do a true bypass.

What do you think of the buffer? (Maybe if it's always on for you you haven't got an opinion on it).
Well I do have an opinion:) I like it it!
I'm a big fan of buffers and like starting my signal chain with one, since the Tso is my first pedal after the tuner, I like having a buffered pedal there. I can't really evaluate the buffer alone apart from the compressor but I can say that it's extremely transparent.

And with a handful of exceptions, plays well with my other pedals. (Exceptions being some of my of my fuzzes.)

Reactions: spi

First, here's what's on my desktop at the moment. The tuner, compressors, boosts, overdrives, distortion and fuzzes, then chorus and flanger all feed the the little red buffered A/B box that either sends the signal then to my amp or to my Apollo for ampless playing,
The back row by the monitor are my delays (MBP Tourbus + Total Recall), Gravitation reverb all on the custom made buffered loop box.
View attachment 56030

For my amp rig, in the effects loop of my amp. Delays and reverb (MPB Skoolie + MPB Skoolie), Seabed Delay w/Modulation, Aion Elysium, another Gravitation reverb.
View attachment 56031

Then on top of my amps, a couple of utility pedals, Buffered ABY switch for my Frenzel input and a JFET buffered Dumble-Lator type pedal for my VHT D-Fifty's passive effects loop.
View attachment 56032

Then the "pedals in storage".....sigh......it's definitely becoming a problem...... :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 56033
View attachment 56034

View attachment 56035

125B's go in the bottom drawer of a wooden file cabinet. Those pedals are 3 deep right now.....
View attachment 56036

Wow.. that's amazing! Thanks for sharing! You must be a genius with a photographic memory if you can remember what all those dials and switches do?

Another idea is to cop the circuit from AionFX's "Convex" (The OTC-201) and put the buffered output on a selectable switch. That way you can choose True or Buffered Bypass.

Wow.. that's amazing! Thanks for sharing! You must be a genius with a photographic memory if you can remember what all those dials and switches do?
Hmmmm a few pints short of "genius" I'm afraid......on pedals I haven't played in a while I have to go look up the build docs to see what does what and re-familiarize myself. But since the majority of these pedals are drive pedals, it's doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure things out.
I mean, there's level, and gain, everything else is going to be EQ, tweak until it sounds good.....:ROFLMAO:

Hmmmm a few pints short of "genius" I'm afraid......on pedals I haven't played in a while I have to go look up the build docs to see what does what and re-familiarize myself. But since the majority of these pedals are drive pedals, it's doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure things out.
I mean, there's level, and gain, everything else is going to be EQ, tweak until it sounds good.....:ROFLMAO:
I haven't built many pedals but I always forget to print decals for the knobs... I'm too busy rushing to the next build... I always forget to order knobs too LOL

You and your damn love of this circuit really did me in 😉
Now I have a three-in-one combo build in the works with two General Tso’s Compressors and a Vox V806 treble booster, and it’ll be all your fault 😂
I’m still in the planning stage for the enclosure layout, so do you mind if I PM you with some questions about your use of two of them?

You and your damn love of this circuit really did me in 😉
Now I have a three-in-one combo build in the works with two General Tso’s Compressors and a Vox V806 treble booster, and it’ll be all your fault 😂
I’m still in the planning stage for the enclosure layout, so do you mind if I PM you with some questions about your use of two of them?
Of course!

View attachment 56030

View attachment 56031

View attachment 56032

View attachment 56033
View attachment 56034

View attachment 56035

View attachment 56036

im like a year away from this lol, love seeing the whole family <3

Back