Germanium transistor 2GT182???

Johnnyorange500

Hi,me again with another unknown transistor.. well to me it is. Tried to find it mentioned somewhere on the internet with no avail?? It’s obviously a germanium transistor with a hFE 99.5 leakage 0.20 Any idea of brand or any explanation of its origin? Etc..I know people say don’t get hung up on these things..but I like to know.
Cheers
Johnny

Attachments

• IMG_5021.jpeg
    IMG_5021.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
NKT222 was used in certain Tonebender Mk3 builds, so that's cool. There does seem to be a lack of online info about this type. In addition to the equivalents listed above, other 2GT types (2GT102) are listed as a European type here (pg 134):

Can you get pics showing the printing we can't see or post the full printed text here?

It's a flanged TO-1 package (if that has its own name I don't know it off the top of my head), and not the thinner kind like you see on SFT* types. That can maybe point you in a certain direction. I've most commonly seen that on TI, Brimar/Thorn/Mazda, and Siemens transistors, but I'm not sure how accurately that reflects what's actually out there. I think most if not all the Siemens types I've seen like that had standard (not gold-plated) pins. The printing style is different from most TI types where the font is usually smaller, but it looks very similar to some. Here's a 2G302 I have, for example:

20230727_180445.jpg

Note the serifs on the G in particular. Mazda/Brimar/Thorn types more commonly have colored sleeves, but here's one that was sold as a Mazda AC156 with similar printing.

20230727_180434.jpg

The 2G302 has the TI logo printed on the other side, while the AC156 does not have any brand ID on it. I actually think it might be TI as well even though it was sold as a Mazda type. I wouldn't say with any real confidence the 2GT182 is made by these companies, just throwing whatever info I can out there at this point.

EDIT: Actually, someone pulled a couple replacement 2GT182s out of a radio here. The pic is really low quality but these look a lot like Texas Instruments types here.

It's odd to not be able to find any info on it if it's a TI type, but maybe 2GT designates it as something sold in a particular way that results in little info. It's not uncommon to find transistors with house numbers or numbers printed on them for a 3rd party (there are a lot of transistors with Tektronix numbers printed on them even though they're made by a company like TI or RCA), and those ones would be less likely to make it into a transistor substitutes or transistor databook.

EDIT 2: OK these were sold as replacement types by Radiospares:

Screenshot 2023-07-27 183152.png

Taken from here:

You can see Made in England printed here. I believe Radiospares used various manufacturers, as you can find other transistors with different countries of origin.

Last edited:
NKT222 was used in certain Tonebender Mk3 builds, so that's cool. There does seem to be a lack of online info about this type. In addition to the equivalents listed above, other 2GT types (2GT102) are listed as a European type here (pg 134):

Can you get pics showing the printing we can't see or post the full printed text here?

It's a flanged TO-1 package (if that has its own name I don't know it off the top of my head), and not the thinner kind like you see on SFT* types. That can maybe point you in a certain direction. I've most commonly seen that on TI, Brimar/Thorn/Mazda, and Siemens transistors, but I'm not sure how accurately that reflects what's actually out there. I think most if not all the Siemens types I've seen like that had standard (not gold-plated) pins. The printing style is different from most TI types where the font is usually smaller, but it looks very similar to some. Here's a 2G302 I have, for example:

View attachment 53299

Note the serifs on the G in particular. Mazda/Brimar/Thorn types more commonly have colored sleeves, but here's a Mazda AC156 with similar printing.

View attachment 53300

The 2G302 has the TI logo printed on the other side, while the AC156 does not have any brand ID on it but it came in a sealed Mazda AC156 box so I'm pretty certain that's what it is. I wouldn't say with any confidence it's made by these companies, just throwing whatever info I can out there at this point.

EDIT: Actually, someone pulled a couple replacement 2GT182s out of a radio here. The pic is really low quality but these look a lot like Texas Instruments types here.

It's odd to not be able to find any info on it if it's a TI type, but maybe 2GT designates it as something sold in a particular way that results in little info. It's not uncommon to find transistors with house numbers or numbers printed on them for a 3rd party (there are a lot of transistors with Tektronix numbers printed on them even though they're made by a company like TI or RCA), and those ones would be less likely to make it into a transistor substitutes or transistor databook.

EDIT 2: OK these were sold as replacement types by Radiospares:

View attachment 53304

Taken from here:

You can see Made in England printed here. I believe Radiospares used various manufacturers, as you can find other transistors with different countries of origin.
man! Can’t thank you enough for this. This is what I was after and more.. great insight! Thank you. 👍🏻
The print reads in full
2GT182 RS 534

Attachments

• IMG_5025.jpeg
    IMG_5025.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5026.jpeg
    IMG_5026.jpeg
    234 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5027.jpeg
    IMG_5027.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 1