BF245 at Guitar PCB

Chuck D. Bones

Circuit Wizard
I buy from Barry at Guitar PCB all the time, he's a good guy, and I trust that Barry is selling legit parts. Every JFET I have bought from him in the past has met spec.

I want to warn you about the BF245s he's advertising as equivalent to J201. First of all, BF245s are not rare. Tayda sells them, although they are out of stock at the moment. IF he has selected ones that are truly equivalent to J201, THOSE would be rare.

BF245s are graded by Idss. They come in plain (no suffix), A, B & C suffix.

BF245 spec:
1711997720718.png

Compare that to the J201 spec:
1711997874939.png

According to those specs, the minimum Idss of the B245 is greater than the maximum Idss of the J201. In other words, their Idss specs do not overlap.

While it is possible that some BF245s might work is some pedal circuits that specify J201, I would not count on it.

I purchased 100 BF245C's on eBay a while back. They cost considerable less than what Barry is charging. although they are marked BF245C, none of them met the -C spec and I received a full refund. The "scrap" parts are useful in some circuits, but like all JFETs, I have to hand select them. I have segregated them from my legit JFETs so I don't lose track of the fact that they are counterfeit.

I am NOT suggesting that Barry's parts are counterfeit. Only the ones I bought from a Chinese vendor on eBay are Fugazi.

Back