Hammond 1590G2 Enclosure

Twilt

Hi all!

I just bought one of these for the Crankshaft build. I've never seen these before but I love the size and should be perfect for the Crankshaft pcb.

Anyone else use these for any builds?

~Troy

One of my favorites to build in. Unfortunately pretty hard to find at a reasonable price other than from Hawk Electronic, and you have to order a decent amount from them for the shipping to work out. I’ve suggested 1590G and 1590G2 enclosures to Tayda a few times, including yesterday. Hopefully they go for it one of these days!

I’ve built a handful of pedals in 1590G and 1590G2, including an Acapulco Gold with top mounted jacks.

I posted a photo in the forum somewhere, but not finding it at the moment.

I think it’s probably unlikely that Tayda will stock it. It’s not one that you can find cheap clones of.

My current favorite is the 1550B, though. Excellent size for PPCB builds.

I’ve built a handful of pedals in 1590G and 1590G2, including an Acapulco Gold with top mounted jacks.

I posted a photo in the forum somewhere, but not finding it at the moment.

I think it’s probably unlikely that Tayda will stock it. It’s not one that you can find cheap clones of.

My current favorite is the 1550B, though. Excellent size for PPCB builds.
You can actually find a pretty decent number of cheap 1590G clones on AliExpress— it is the most popular diy vape enclosure size after all (from what I’ve seen when searching for powder coated 1590G enclosures). The 1590G2 not so much, but they’ve got 1590BBS enclosures now too, and those are just as hard to find cheap copies of— I think they may potentially have their own sources for low-cost Chinese enclosure manufacturing.

One of my favorites to build in. Unfortunately pretty hard to find at a reasonable price other than from Hawk Electronic, and you have to order a decent amount from them for the shipping to work out. I’ve suggested 1590G and 1590G2 enclosures to Tayda a few times, including yesterday. Hopefully they go for it one of these days!
Hawk has the cheapest prices I’ve been able to find for the whole line of Hammond 1590 and 1550 enclosures, so far as I can tell. Have an order arriving tomorrow (hopefully! Was supposed to be here today!). I prefer the quality of the name brand Hammond to any of the clones I’ve tried so far. Better fit (lid to body), better tolerances, better material, heavier gauge. All in all, better feel. Worth the extra dollar or two to me.

Yep, Hawk def has the best prices for Hammonds. I prefer the the quality of the original Hammonds too. Some "clones" I've bought in the past are pretty nice but still not quite as nice as an original.

I wish I could stuff some of my other 125 builts into these G2's. I will have to try the 1550B's for those.

~Troy

Agreed on both hawk being the best prices, and on Hammond being the best. It’s just a shame that the only places offering powdercoating and/or UV printing on Hammonds are so insanely cost prohibitive and/or has huge minimum quantities.

What makes one aluminum box better than another aluminum box?
On top of the fit and finish, the base quality of the metal seems to be different. I’ve received a few Tiwanese made generic enclosures over the years that had slight colorful streaking (like an oil spill or bismuth crystals) in them, and even with the most thorough surface prep (proper cleaning and degreasing, etc), neither primer nor paint would adhere to the colored areas of the metal.

On top of the fit and finish, the base quality of the metal seems to be different. I’ve received a few Tiwanese made generic enclosures over the years that had slight colorful streaking (like an oil spill or bismuth crystals) in them, and even with the most thorough surface prep (proper cleaning and degreasing, etc), neither primer nor paint would adhere to the colored areas of the metal.
You know, now that you mention it, i had generic enclosure awhile back, and it wouldn't hold paint either. After repeated failed attempts at preping/painting it i chucked it. I'm no metalurgist, but I knew it had to be something to do with the enclosure, itself. Never experienced anything like that before nor since.

Back