Happy Birthday and New Releases

Ahhh, I take it you never heard the Super Daydream patch running on the Daisy....

The Daisy can absolutely do tap tempo and stereo. Think of it as an Arduino or Teensy on steroids with DSP functionality built in.

I mean, it has enough onboard RAM for 10 minutes of delay time. Yes, you can build a sampler / looper.

With all due respect to the FXcore, the Daisy kicks the s**t out of it in terms of processing power. You don't need a development board either, it has a micro USB port right there on the module. I bought an FXcore development board at release but since I got my hands on the Daisy I haven't even touched it.

Another bonus, all of the Daisy firmware is open source and schematics are available for all of the hardware.... the Seed, Patch, Petal, etc.

It's all there. You could just take your design over to an STM32 architecture if you wanted.
that sounds fantastic! I think I'll definitely have to pick up a terrarium board soon! good to know about the tap tempo and stereo compatibility. I see no reason an analog dry path (with blend knob) and mechanical bypass couldn't be implemented to free up the sixth pot input for an additional parameter control if necessary too– would be a waste to do in most situations, but I can think of a few things that might be interesting. That gives me some ideas....

I mean come on, check this out. (Daisy powered)
The sounds from that are way impressive, but even more impressive is that light show! man, eurorack stuff can be real gorgeous sometimes. I love inlaid light features like that.

I think it’s a

I’ve got an FXCore dev board. You want?
Think it's a what? a ghost? 👻
I don't think I knew they had a dedicated dev board, or if I did know, I forgot.
Do I want? If you have no use for it I'd certainly love to give it a go. Did you ever get a chance to mess around and make fun sounds with it, or too busy holding contests and programming moon-pie-defacing sleeper agents? 😉

What anniversary is the Perpetua coming out before?

Unfortunately the FV-1 supply shortage put this project on hold...

I see no reason an analog dry path (with blend knob) and mechanical bypass couldn't be implemented to free up the sixth pot input for an additional parameter control if necessary too–

The six pot inputs are a limit of the Terrarium design only.... The Seed itself has 31 GPIO pins that you can use in any way you choose. Including using shift registers to increase that number to virtually infinite.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one time that Europe isn’t hit by a supply chain challenge and you go and kill the project.. 😅

But seriously, weird as fuck.

The six pot inputs are a limit of the Terrarium design only.... The Seed itself has 31 GPIO pins that you can use in any way you choose. Including using shift registers to increase that number to virtually infinite.

Interesting about the GPIO pins- I had looked at the data sheet very briefly and saw that it says pots can be used on any Analog-GPIO/ADC pin, and on the pinout I initially only saw pins 22-28 as ADC pins, which was where I got my 6-pot number from, but I see that 29-32 as well as 35 are ADC pins as well. Not sure what a Peripheral GPIO means in this scenario (pins 2-15), or why the two digital GPIO pins couldn't be used as pot inputs, but that's stuff to learn about as I go along.

The Perpetua started as a single effect (infinite sustainer), but the design evolved into it's own platform similar to the Arachnid / Pythagoras for other momentary-footswitch activated effects (such as pitch dive bombs, through-zero flange like the Zero-point, etc)

The Daisy is the most likely candidate, yes. Like you mentioned, around that time the Daisy was also affected by the shortage, but that's all over now and they're readily available.

This is why I left sourcing the FV-1 IC up to the builder... It's easier for you to buy what you need from whichever vendor is lucky enough to have them than it is for me to try to source enough to supply everyone. I tried to get one last batch for the 5 year anniversary, but alas, the waitlist was still just too long. :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

The Perpetua started as a single effect (infinite sustainer), but the design evolved into it's own platform similar to the Arachnid / Pythagoras for other momentary-footswitch activated effects (such as pitch dive bombs, through-zero flange like the Zero-point, etc)

The Daisy is the most likely candidate, yes. Like you mentioned, around that time the Daisy was also affected by the shortage, but that's all over now and they're readily available.

This is why I left sourcing the FV-1 IC up to the builder... It's easier for you to buy what you need from whichever vendor is lucky enough to have them than it is for me to try to source enough to supply everyone. I tried to get one last batch for the 5 year anniversary, but alas, the waitlist was still just too long. :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
Shortage? I found four more behind a plant on the kitchen counter the other day.

Ahhh, I take it you never heard the Super Daydream patch running on the Daisy....

The Daisy can absolutely do tap tempo and stereo. Think of it as an Arduino or Teensy on steroids with DSP functionality built in.

I mean, it has enough onboard RAM for 10 minutes of delay time. Yes, you can build a sampler / looper.

With all due respect to the FXcore, the Daisy kicks the s**t out of it in terms of processing power. You don't need a development board either, it has a micro USB port right there on the module. I bought an FXcore development board at release but since I got my hands on the Daisy I haven't even touched it.

Another bonus, all of the Daisy firmware is open source and schematics are available for all of the hardware.... the Seed, Patch, Petal, etc.

It's all there. You could just take your design over to an STM32 architecture if you wanted.
Have you shared that Daisy program? Great sounds!

Have you shared that Daisy program? Great sounds!

I haven't, it's not quite finished. I think that demo was actually running on my Petal before I designed the Terrarium.

Hear that high frequency whine? This was created before we learned how to eliminate that and I haven't had a chance to revisit it.

Every time I listen to it though, it makes me want to get my act into high gear and bring it back to life.

Hey @PedalPCB and @Bricksnbeatles can you give me a dummy's rundown on the daisy seed/terrarium?

Ever used an Arduino or Teensy? It's similar to that but tailored specifically towards audio projects. You can get a lot more info on their site, but it's basically a little plug-in breadboard capable module powered by an ARM Cortex-M7 MCU (I have computers with less power). The things it can do are just amazing, every time I play with it I'm like a kid in a candy store.

I haven't, it's not quite finished. I think that demo was actually running on my Petal before I designed the Terrarium.

Hear that high frequency whine? This was created before we learned how to eliminate that and I haven't had a chance to revisit it.

Every time I listen to it though, it makes me want to get my act into high gear and bring it back to life.

Ever used an Arduino or Teensy? It's similar to that but tailored specifically towards audio projects. You can get a lot more info on their site, but it's basically a little plug-in breadboard capable module powered by an ARM Cortex-M7 MCU (I have computers with less power). The things it can do are just amazing, every time I play with it I'm like a kid in a candy store.
Good to have some "extra" projects in line just in case there is ever any downtime! Congratulations on 5 years with the site. Great milestone for sure.

Reactions: fig
This has probably been asked before, but is there a “production” version of the daisy where you can replace the seed with a more compact board that’s ready to solder in (and cheaper)? I assume a lot of the cost and hardware is because the seed is a dev board?

Back