Hen's Tooth (or, the meh rat)

DGWVI

Built this a couple days ago, but I find it kinda underwhelming and forgot to post it.

Anyway, it doesn't sound bad by any means- sounds like a Fat Cat, which doesn't do anything for me when I've got six different Rat variants on hand 🤷‍♂️ :ROFLMAO:

Added a clipping toggle for silicon, none, and germanium. Usually I don't care for germanium clippers, but in this circuit I actually prefer them to the no diodes. Was gonna throw a Nanolog N3 in it, but I think the ones I have left are faulty.
And, I used my very last silver mica for the compensation cap to add mojo or somethin
received_397847539179437.jpeg received_417749333608908.jpeg

Is that tayda black sand? I haven't tried the sand ones yet, but I've heard a lot of praise around here for them. I don't really own any rat or rat adjacent pedals somehow so I'm always interested in what I'm missing out on. Of the other variants you have, did any of those knock your socks off?

Is that tayda black sand? I haven't tried the sand ones yet, but I've heard a lot of praise around here for them. I don't really own any rat or rat adjacent pedals somehow so I'm always interested in what I'm missing out on. Of the other variants you have, did any of those knock your socks off?
Yep, black sand matte- my favorite pedal texture / color.

My absolute favorite distortion of all time is the Turbo Rat. The two I've had on my board the longest have white LEDs, which don't really add anything as far as clipping goes, but they look cool when the backs off. These two do differ in the chips, one sporting a 308, the other a 301. The 308 is a little darker, and rounder sounding, with a spongier kinda feel at higher distortion settings, while the 301 has a lot more upper midrange content and aggressive pick attack. I use the 308 for my lower gain and crunch tones, and the 301 for my massive kick in the teeth dirt.

I also have a Deucetone Rat, and I always have it set for You Dirty on side A, and Clean (no diodes) on side B

I will say, every guitarist should own at least one Rat. I suppose I'd suggest the standard silicon Rat as a starting point, but I like the added output gain and dynamic response of LED or no clippers

Back