DEMO Live Stream Test Rig or how the sausage is made.

This post contains an audio or video demo

jjjimi84

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I have been hiding for about a month now between work, vacation to TN, more work and then a trip to Vegas for a wedding, the pool of dkpedals content is running pretty low.

It doesn't mean I have been setting around on my hands it just means I had an epiphany, kind of.

I set up some cameras and was shooting a studio tour video and kept saying things like, "well my plan is to do this" or "eventually I want to do that"...... so I made a list of all the stuff that I want to get done around here to make this a better studio for DIY content.

Then I actually set about it and not all half assed take forever to get it done but really did some shit. First thing on my list is a live stream pedal board and set up using Destiny Behemoth. I built a pedal board out of scraps of wood in my basement;
XyMH3GOl.jpg

Then primed it:
hqIadpjl.jpg

Then using some disney colored paint from Home Depot, painted it green screen green and then sealed it with rattle can clear coat;
a8p0ZFNl.jpg

To then place it right next to me, on top of my most prized possession, my TMNT toy box I have had for 35 years;
8BXvRPLl.jpg

Then started the process of figuring out OBS studio and getting stuff working to film this test demo;

Now this is just a rough, forum only video but the potential is there and I am hoping to make this a thing. Maybe like a bi-weekly hang with pedal requests and or whatever you nutters want. Also pardon my completely unkempt homeless appearance....

After that I started thinking about the demos with the big amps and guitars. Previously the set up for my vocal microphone was a very cheap shotgun microphone on top of my camera roughly six feet away and I hate it. It makes my voice sound boxy and has this really weird mid range thing that I was always trying to edit out.

Taking a couple of microphone stands and frankensteining them together along with a 15 lb weight, I now have a nice booming stand which holds the wonderful SM7B. Then I needed a way to turn it off and on, which led to a make shift mute that works to mute my voice but also causes a pop at every click. That is a small issue to deal with later (which is currently in the works). Next up is the issue of not being able to us my "bigger" amps. When I turn them up with my guitars near them, they would instantly start howling with feedback. What is a fella to do? Take a 1x12 cabinet, shove it in my closet, throw my mics on it, surround it in sound panels and close the door;
v0tEoUDl.jpg

This lead me down a path of true insanity......I swapped speakers in my bluesbreaker 18 watt amp to give me a load of 8 ohms, like all of my other amps and cabinets. Now all of my amps run into a patch bay and all of my cabinets run into the same patch bay, if the amp has an effects loop then they run into the patch pay. What this gives me is the ability to patch an 18 watt amp into a tweed 1x12 or the SLO into the 18 watt or into the Two notes torpedo. Currently I have the closet speaker running in parallel with the two notes, so when I hit record I have the 121/57 and the two notes, which I can load any speaker and apply a bit of reverb for ambience.

So with this all put together, I filmed a test demo with my prized JTM 45 with the incredible @jimilee Super Rat. When editing the footage, I found some issues that will need to be resolved and went ahead and put all of that in the video so you all can see how the sausage is made.

Here it is, now this video is a bit rough but the sounds are there and is a HUGE leap forward for the channel.

Again, another forum only video and will be re-shot soon because this pedal is badass. Other thing to note, with all of the speaker changes and what not, I finally have a floor that is not covered in cabling. This very much helps my nerves and the constant microphone bumping that was going on.

Here we are though, warts and all, trying to make this thing a bit better for all of us. Next week is a video about how I painted a very very special project for the awesome @benny_profane then maybe some gosh darn pedal demos.

It is a huge leap forward for your already excellent and super fun channel! Great stuff, lots of thought and action going on there.
Sounds are already great and with more fine tuning you'll have it nailed.
Looking forward to more from your music cave and I am curious what shenanigans you'll cook up with the green screen/pedalboard thing.
Epic cinematic stuff I would think...

Dude this is great stuff. Sounds really good already. I think the live stream idea is great. Makes for good content imo. You doing the streams on YouTube solely? I think Twitch would also be a cool place for live gear demos, chats, etc. Either way I like where you're going.

And I've never heard "how the sausage is made" so, coming from you, I thought for sure it was something dirty!

Wow Im loving your setup! The green pedalboard is a gamechanger!
@jimilee Im loving the thick crunchy RAT tone! Beautiful work guys!

That guitar is something else...
That guitar is making all of my other guitars sad. I fluff @Pauleo1214 nuts everyday with how much i love it.
It is a huge leap forward for your already excellent and super fun channel! Great stuff, lots of thought and action going on there.
Sounds are already great and with more fine tuning you'll have it nailed.
Looking forward to more from your music cave and I am curious what shenanigans you'll cook up with the green screen/pedalboard thing.
Epic cinematic stuff I would think...
I have ideas my friend, tomorrow I am looking at hanging another green screen for some really goofy stuff.
Dude this is great stuff. Sounds really good already. I think the live stream idea is great. Makes for good content imo. You doing the streams on YouTube solely? I think Twitch would also be a cool place for live gear demos, chats, etc. Either way I like where you're going.

And I've never heard "how the sausage is made" so, coming from you, I thought for sure it was something dirty!
I was just going to use youtube because I don’t know what twitch is. I wonder if I can stream to both platforms? I think the live stream would be cool to show off some cool pedals and get to live chat with everyone.

Never heard of how the sausage was made? My uncle worked at oscar mayer and used to say ”you don’t want to know how the sausage is made”.

Still eat hot dogs because they are awesome.

That guitar is making all of my other guitars sad. I fluff @Pauleo1214 nuts everyday with how much i love it.

I have ideas my friend, tomorrow I am looking at hanging another green screen for some really goofy stuff.

I was just going to use youtube because I don’t know what twitch is. I wonder if I can stream to both platforms? I think the live stream would be cool to show off some cool pedals and get to live chat with everyone.

Never heard of how the sausage was made? My uncle worked at oscar mayer and used to say ”you don’t want to know how the sausage is made”.

Still eat hot dogs because they are awesome.
Seeing how the mcnugget is made makes emulsified meat production look like no big deal. "At least I KNOW this is real rat anus"

Back