High Quality Solder Suggestions?

dawson

I've been using the cheapest solder I can find for a while but I'm learning that if I want the best sounding results, "dirt cheap" can't be my #1 priority when purchasing building materials. If anyone would like to suggest their favorite brands of solder for working on PCB's, I would much appreciate it.

Oh, and I don't have any lead restrictions to worry about.

Thanks a lot for any input!

I've been using the Kester "no clean" solder, which works very well, but have some 44 coming to try out. The "no clean" stuff is nice to use, but I took "no clean" to mean "no mess", which is certainly isn't. That plus the flux make for a sticky mess that takes quite a while to clean up. Hoping the 44 will be better and that I can come to rely on flux less often as I gain experience, though I think a higher powered iron will be the biggest help.

@duffy_lane Kester 44 is the flux type, and they make over 50 different alloy/diameter combinations, both in leaded and lead-free, so pick whatever you like. 0.8mm 63/37 (search for 24-6337-0027) is probably the most frequently recommended solder.

Back