How can I desolder an “uncleanable” pcb pad?

farwest1

One of the through-board pads on a pcb I’m working on accidentally filled with solder, with no component in it. Now I can’t get the solder out.

I’ve tried to clean the solder out of it with both a desoldering braid and pump, but I just can’t get a clean hole to reappear. I’ve also tried re-heating the solder and forcing a wire end through, but can’t.

any additional ideas? Can I use a very small drill bit to re-drill the hole? Force an awl or needle through it? Are there other techniques?

It's a resistor hole. I was soldering a row of resistors and I managed to fill another hole next to it, no idea how.

I fluxed up big time but no dice and no cigar.

This was supposed to be a 10 minute build...

Reactions: fig
Strange. Solder braid has always worked very well for me. Here's the process.

1. Apply a couple drops of flux to about 1/2" of braid.
2. Press the wet section of braid against the soldered pad with the soldering iron and watch the solder wick up into the braid.
3. Remove iron & braid simultaneously.
You might need to do it once more if you had a huge pool of solder.

I had to do this yesterday when I installed the wrong capacitor on a board by accident. Piece of cake. One of the pads was on the ground plane. Those take a little longer to heat up.

BTW, There are no 10 minute builds. ;)

Grab a pair of needle nose pliers and any components left over leads line it up with the hole heat with iron gently twist into hole (I've pulled pads and traces off boards from either trying too many times putting something in that hole and/or applying too much heat for probably too long then and then by then I shoulda l just bend a lead scrap 'n solder in to place where a trace once was and save myself some time ***Side Note I've also made a little problem bigger by doing this (thats how a trace got trashed it got stuck and I pulled too hard)

So I invested in one of these....and some these.

The tip is small enough to fit inside the hole and melt all the solder.
I clip the board vertically with my "helping hands" and double fist it. Put the tip in one side and as the blob comes out the other suck it with the hot desoldering tool. Do it all quickly without burning the board. (ask me how I know.....:)). Works like a charm.

I adopted this method for all the freaking "after the fact" mods I did with my first Paragon build hahah!

So I invested in one of these....and some these.

The tip is small enough to fit inside the hole and melt all the solder.
I clip the board vertically with my "helping hands" and double fist it. Put the tip in one side and as the blob comes out the other suck it with the hot desoldering tool. Do it all quickly without burning the board. (ask me how I know.....:)). Works like a charm.

I adopted this method for all the freaking "after the fact" mods I did with my first Paragon build hahah!
I bought one of these years ago when I was modding a lot of pedals

Back